• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger taillight bulb socket woes.

TAZZ

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
I need some electrical intervention. I'm in the process of cleaning up some questionable wiring on my taillights. Talk about a can of worms! All repairs/splices have been made using black or white wires. I have the right colors/gauges so going back with that. I'm having trouble finding a three-wire two element socket (circled in the diagram) locally. Can I solder the gray and black (ground) wires to a two-wire socket (red arrow) and be good to go? Thanks

72CoronetChargerB with circle.JPG

The three wires bulbs are designed to get just one ground and two diff positive signals, so, no, each harness wire must be correctly matched with the new socket wire.

Black wire on tail light harness is not ground on tail lights, but positive parking circuit. Gray is ground on the tail lights circuit. Then brown or dark green (depending on side) are the brakes/turnings (also positive).

This color code is valid on all Mopars on those years.

The “problem” is you need to identify which wire of the socket must be soldered to the low intensity filament for parking circuit and which one with the high intensity filament for the brakes/turnings.

The third wire of replacement socket is the ground ALTHOUGHT on 72s both tail lights assemblies available (SE/STANDARD AND RALLYES) are made on Pot Metal SOOOOO the ground on them is actually taken by chassis. Nothing wrong linking it to the ground circuit on tail harness thought.

Three wire sockets for 1157 bulbs are available around, maybe not locally but at any respectable shop.

I even have seem two wires sockets which are chassis grounded thought. Can’t recall if on the correct or closer diameter for the housing. Tipically those removable sockets (tipically the original sockets on tail lights accesible throught the trunk) are two wires and chssis grounded, not wired.

Last edited:
This would be a three wires socket and with weatherproof boot, which could be the ideal replacement socket for exterior pot metal tail lights. (Like the originals)

Is the first floated on on my search, not saying is the best vendor or price.

The retaining plate wouldn’t be used

Now wondering if the spring loaded crown around is enough to catch and keep in place on the housing thickness

#1157 Tail Light Parking Lamp Light Bulb Socket Pigtail

Last edited:
There is also a two wires version for Chassis grounded setup…this one with an added booth (this is new to me, since they weren available with the extra booth quite ago)

American Autowire 500124: Universal Double Contact Socket 1157 Bulb - JEGS

But I KNOW it does exist the same one I posted previously with integrated weatherproof booth and just two wires (chassis grounded)

Then there are also some other sockets available for bigger holes (1 1/8” or so ) with larger spring loaded retaining crown but I think the 3/4 socket setup is the ideal, since shouldn’t need to trim wide the housing to accept the replacement socket.

The correct wiring diagram for a '72Charger (Dodge 2dr), Correction; '73 Charger with plastic housings. All lamp sockets are wire grounded (grey wires) with plastic tail lamp housings.
72 Charger tail lights.jpg

Last edited:
Aren”t 72 Charger pot metal housings?
Double checking the factory wiring diagram I posted, it is for ’73. Plastic on the Plymouth side in ’72, all sockets grounded via grey wires. Now that you mention it, I believe the ’72 Charger housings indeed are pot metal, changing to plastic in ’73. If that’s the case, the single grey ground wire circled above serves as the ground for the right rear side marker light only. All other tail lamp sockets ground via the housing. Side marker light can be grounded anywhere, no need for a special 3-wire socket.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks Nacho and 72 Runner. It makes sense now. Putting into words what the diagram is showing makes a world of difference. Especially the different colors for the left and right. I've got running lights, brake lights and blinkers working on the left. On the right side all are working but the brake lights (brown wire), Power at the switch and first connection but nothing after that. I found some shitty looking splices just before the wiring goes under the back seat. Working on that today. Thanks again guys.

By the way, down below is (Similar Threads) is a nice wiring guide from member "dangina". I know it's a different year but a good thread.
Ultimate Wiring Picture Guide 1971 Plymouth / Dodge Bbody

By the way, I love your Will Rogers tag line. When I read that years ago, I had to copy & paste it on the wall where I work. Everybody loves it. He musta been a pisser in his day!!Lol! :lol:

Get the correct socket it should be available at many auto supply stores. You don't want to tie the park and brake/signal lights together.

When redoing my 72 Charger I had to replace all the rear light sockets due to corrosion. Although the B body Autowire kit did not include the rear lights, I had no problem getting sockets at NAPA.

Auto Transport Service
Back