• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 hideaway headlights in a 74

pgermaine

Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
Hey folks , I’m new to this site and the Mopar world. I’m sure this has been answered but I can’t find it so forgive me in advance. I have a 74 charger I’m bringing back to life and have purchased a 72 hideaway system complete minus the motor and the bumper bracing to the frame. My question is can I mount the 72 assembly to the 74 brace and what else do I need to make the hideaways function other then the motor ?
Cheers

Paul

The 74 brakets will work you just need to elongate the mounting holes on brakets at frame. Also the head light bucket's are different but I'm told the org 73-74 will barley clear the head light doors . You'll need the wiring and relay too but easy enough to make yourself. The motor might be a bit difficult to get .

The 74 brakets will work you just need to elongate the mounting holes on brakets at frame. Also the head light bucket's are different but I'm told the org 73-74 will barley clear the head light doors . You'll need the wiring and relay too but easy enough to make yourself. The motor might be a bit difficult to get .
Appreciate it

No prob I have a setup I can reference to if needed (till it sells )

Motors show up on ebay every now and then. Expensive though. Ive heard you can use motors from other cars with pop up headlights like the dodge daytona from the late 80s. Might be worth looking into that. Motors are also rebuildable if you find a broken one.

This has been talked many times. Just making a search will find the answers. Basically:

-You need to find all the Hideaways setup... Grilles, doors, motor, doors rod and all related brackets.

-Will need to remove the bottom bumper reinforcement to be able to fit all the brackets straight to the bumper ( 73/74 bumper beam is right in the middle of these provisions ).

-For safety, is better or nice also get a beam reinforcement which attachs on inner brakets of the Y bumper brackets of the 71/72 ( not used on 73/74 ). This will require drill some holes on Y brackets too. NOT MANDATORY FOR THE ASSEMBLY but better for safety in a crash incident.

-Top bumper reinforcement COULD BE OR NOT needed. Some 73/74 still got the same 71/72 top reinforcement with the provision for one of the grill brackets, some not. They are basically the same (71/72 vs 73/74 ) but JUST that difference on SOME 73/74s what didn't got the earlier kind.

-Wiring, relay... can be made at home althought some reproductions are available. But you will save A LOT making it by yourself. Is really easy to build and just need a Bosch 5 prongs relay, safety breaker... plugs, wires and a grommet to go throught the firewall. Somebody around ( I think at dodgecharger.com board )used a Ford relay really similar on how it looks to the original Mopar one and the PN was posted on the thread, however, being the regular relay available anywhere around in the world and CHEAP, I wouldn't worry about.

-Originally diff headlight buckets were used for hideaways grill, being shorter for clearence between headlighst and doors when opening, HOWEVER have been prooved this is not mandatory. Even 71/72 non hideaways cars have been changed to hideaways and the doors still gets some clearence to open. 73/74 gets more clearence due the added bumper fillers gap, so you shouldn't be worried about that

wiring diagram ( this is one I made long time ago and has been shared everywhere ):

NBHXcNTkAbfeOVa7hOJdTFc4FGp6ms6kdQqHl0yvVzW--ocAvy_DNiTTfgYBe67-AqfMdP8JikWyshO3wb0695SQfak5k7qT.jpg

The inner Y brackets brace used on 71/72 but replaced by the bumper mounted on 73/74 ( both to frontal impact protection ) is the one labeled here as BRACE.

200582-edef6629a5584941541d888ca6386a22.jpg

The diff on top bracket reinforcement is this, WHICH some 73/74 STILL got the provision, My 74 did, but my car was assembled in Vzla so maybe is not the best example, however A LOT of 73/74s I have checked in USA still got the earlier kind. So will depend on your own car. This provision can be also build and welded!!!

20200109_143717.jpg

and this would be the full view assembly:

concealedheadlamp-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
OH! Will need also the internal open hood release system! Latch, cable and handle!

Or invent/build the way to open the hood in any other way.

( not sure if the non hideaways headlights hood release lever could be modified to fit into a hideaways grill setup )

On an extra note...

This would be the 73/74 bumper reinforcement setup. You can see the bottom beam what needs to be removed and the top one earlier kind with the provisions for hideaways brackets setup

74-dodge-charger-front-bumper-core-brackets-mopar-jpg.jpg

And how it looks a hideaways system installed from the back, and the reason why the bottom beam needs to be removed for clearance for the hideaways bracketing.

0427051-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much !!

OH! Will need also the internal open hood release system! Latch, cable and handle!

Or invent/build the way to open the hood in any other way.

( not sure if the non hideaways headlights hood release lever could be modified to fit into a hideaways grill setup )

On an extra note...

This would be the 73/74 bumper reinforcement setup. You can see the bottom beam what needs to be removed and the top one earlier kind with the provisions for hideaways brackets setup

View attachment 1026066

And how it looks a hideaways system installed from the back, and the reason why the bottom beam needs to be removed for clearance for the hideaways bracketing.

View attachment 1026067

actually regular 71/72 grill brackets reachs also the bumper itself. they don't get the bottom reinforcement either

Auto Transport Service
Back