• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Spare Tire Rod, which way does it go?

JR_Charger

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
82_tire_hold_down_01.JPG
82_tire_hold_down_02.JPG

I did not notice this thing had an orientation when I took it off. Which side is the front?

Not sure, but I think the rounded end goes towards the rear (Taillight end) of the car.

That was my first thought, I'm sure it used to fold towards the rear. My second thought is that the square end is supposed to hold it upright, instead of folding to the rear, so you don't have to reach under the tire to fish it through the rim. Mine could even have been installed wrong at the factory by someone who never noticed it's directional. It would be easy to miss.

I'll set it up so it folds towards the rear, unless someone knows that's definitely wrong.

That was my first thought, I'm sure it used to fold towards the rear. My second thought is that the square end is supposed to hold it upright, instead of folding to the rear, so you don't have to reach under the tire to fish it through the rim. Mine could even have been installed wrong at the factory by someone who never noticed it's directional. It would be easy to miss.

I'll set it up so it folds towards the rear, unless someone knows that's definitely wrong.
Good point that the squared end could go toward the rear & it also could have been installed wrong from the factory too. I have seen some strange things that were done at the factory.

There could be situations where it would be convenient to fold the rod forward, it would be more out of the way. BUUUUUUT - would it be harder to lift the tire over a vertical rod, which might be trying to fold away from the tire?

Overthinking this for sure!

Put the spare tire rod in - I can't see that it matters what direction it goes, as it can't touch the trunk floor either way. Why the sides are different is a mystery to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back