• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 torque flight transmission issues

1967bperko

Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
My 1967 Dodge Charger 383 automatic transmission .When you put the car in reverse you have to give it a lot of gas pedal before the car will start moving. The same holds true for when you put it in drive , you have to give it a lot of gas before it will start moving. Also there is a loud kind of wining sound when you put it into reverse.Does anyone know what the problem or problems are with the transmission.It’s the 727 torque flight transmission by the way that was supposedly rebuilt.

Well supposedly rebuilt by whom?

Could be band adjustments, or other things. If you are not transmission literate, since it still moves, I would take to your local shop, and let them check it out.

My reverse just suddenly stopped working one day after some spirited driving, and it turns out the reverse band nut had backed itself off enough that reverse didn't work anymore.

Local shop found the problem, did a trans service for me, and has been fine ever since.

This situation is usually caused by the transmission fluid that is held in the torque converter partially draining back into the transmission case, after your car sits for a while. When these cars were new, and used daily, the fluid never got a chance to drain back enough that it was noticeable. Most of us have learned to start our older Mopars in neutral, and let them run for a minute, to refill the converter before shifting into gear. The torque converter will not refill in Park position. Fluid level must be checked with the motor idling while the transmission is in Neutral. Moving your car before the converter refills causes wear on bands and clutches.

This situation is usually caused by the transmission fluid that is held in the torque converter partially draining back into the transmission case, after your car sits for a while. When these cars were new, and used daily, the fluid never got a chance to drain back enough that it was noticeable. Most of us have learned to start our older Mopars in neutral, and let them run for a minute, to refill the converter before shifting into gear. The torque converter will not refill in Park position. Fluid level must be checked with the motor idling while the transmission is in Neutral. Moving your car before the converter refills causes wear on bands and clutches.

Thanks for that info I did not know some of that info. Very helpful

Auto Transport Service
Back