• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 steering box rebuild, can I do it.....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
Guys, trying to get a 73 clunker going again. I have had the car over ten years and have never driven it. Motor was locked up when I got it. So, K member is pulled and I am going thru everything before putting in a rebuilt 440. I got the steering box pulled and ordered a rebuild kit from Adlemans and after reading all I can on this site ,am wondering how successful I could be at rebuilding it myself....what are the gotchas I should be looking out for. Having never driven the car not sure the boxes condition....the plan was at least new seals ....I hate leaking boxes. Been trying to watch a few u tube rebuilds and did not see any "specialty tools" needed, are there any. Never pulled one apart....would be my first...thanks for any heads up....

Wow, looks like good info, but mine is a power unit....thahks moes....

A suggestion-

I'd look around any U pull yards for M body cars like 5th Ave, Diplomat, Gran Fury.

Those cars have a bolt in replacement for your box that likely does not leak, and is built with a better "feel" similar to a police box.

Last edited:
Good info YY1, was not aware of this....do you know what years would be a bolt in unit....not familiar at all with M bodies....what year did they start....thanks...

IIRC 1981-89-ish.

You might want to look in a FSM or Motor's manual.

Rebuilding steering gears is pretty involved.

Special tools and calibrations are involved.

Even some of the seals are not easy.

Probably the easiest is the input shaft seal.

There is a reason places like Firm Feel and Steer and Gear charge $500.

ok thanks. Don t want to open a can of worms I can t put the lid back on. I am wondering now if an M body unit requires a pitman arm different size than my stock unit and if so, what arm is needed to use with a 73.....

it may be different but should work if you grab the idler off the donor car, too.

If your not sure of the condition of the box why not give it a try? I am running the original PS box on my 72 and it is in good shape. One of the few things that was in good shape I should say also.

When I removed the K member for cleaning , repaint, refurb, the steering box still hooked up with lines, began leaking fluid from top shaft. I am sure it is a pain in the butt to remove once it all back together, so I am thinking it will be a great time to ensure no leaks with at least new seals....that was the thinking......

what do you mean by "top shaft"?

The input shaft seal (steering column) is easy.

The sector shaft seals (top and bottom [to pitman arm]) IIRC require re-calibrating the unit and may require special tools.

yes, YY1 , I meant the input shaft seal. My local auto parts store has a refurbished unit for 149 exchange....so may look into that. But also, thinking may just put in a new input shaft seal if that easy and go with that. Should have the K member ready to install by the week end.

The only trick I had with the input shaft seal was I had to drill a small hole and thread in a small yet heavy sheet metal screw in order to have something to grip onto to pull it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back