• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 Charger SE Idler Arm Issue

Gold Rush

Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
I can not pin down exactly what is causing the slop in my steering but strongly suspect it may be in the idler arm area. There is at least an inch gap between the idler bushing and top mounting bracket when the steering is all the way to the left. As I turn to the right the busing slides up to that top bracket leaving the gap between it and the bottom bracket. Every video I have viewed (none were '73-'74 models) the top and bottom bracket plates appear to closely capture the idler bushing. I wish I had photos to show what I'm telling you. Kind of in a rut right now.

Does anyone have photos of a '73/'74 Charger idler arm mounted. Close up of the anchor bracket would be GREAT!!

Thank You for any help!

Last edited:
Post some pictures of what it is doing. Guessing it sounds like a worn out idler arm.

Pics !!! How about YOUR pics ? You got the correct idler arm in there ?

As I said earlier, I'm out of sorts for now but just so you all know the idler arm has less then 400 miles on it and is definitely the correct one. Steering has not been right since putting the car back together a couple years ago. I'm trying to develop a plan to fix a problem when I get back on my feet. If anyone can/wants to help with some photos I'd appreciate it.

Auto Transport Service
Back