• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Satellite gauge cluster dead

archerN

Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
Hi all

Most of the cluster in my 74 Satellite was completely dead when I started it this morning (incl. Temp,Fuel,Oil,Brake indicator). I suspected a cluster regulator but there is barely any voltage (0.015v) at the 12v leg of the regulator socket on the cluster. I have 12v on both sides of the cluster fuse and the fuse is good. I moved on to the cannon plug and all the pins look good, no corrosion.

Are there any "usual suspects" in the circuit between the cluster fuse on the fuse and cluster regulator I should look for? The electrics in the car are stock except amp gauge bypass and LED tail lights/marker lights.

Any input is appreciated. Happy 4th :usflag:

You are missing a ground wire.

Test the resistance in ohms between the cluster body and the battery negative or a known good ground....floor pan/steering column base etc.

You are missing a ground wire.

Test the resistance in ohms between the cluster body and the battery negative or a known good ground....floor pan/steering column base etc.
I cleaned the cluster connector with contact cleaner and after I reconnected it, it now works fine. I appreciate the assistance.

If standard cluster, it could be also beginning to get loosen the PCB pins from the board. So maybe it was not dirty, but when jiggling the conector, the pin got contact back with the PCB tracks.

Something to check.

On a side note, when the cluster gets loosen the ground and voltage limiter is operative is a very dangerous stage for the gauges. When voltage is present but not ground the VL allows the full 12 volts up to the gauges and they will get burnt.

Fortunately the cluster gets ground via wire and also via chassis. But becarefull

Auto Transport Service
Back