• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

741 Sure-Grip

sloinker

Local time
5:02 PM
Reaction score
I bought this rear end assembly from a guy many years ago and installed it. It's been driven about 1/2 mile and on and off a trailer a couple times in the last 15 years. I am re-acquainting myself with the car as I start piecing it back together. The casting says it's a 741 with the tags saying Sure Grip and 2.94. I know both wheels spin the same direction when you spin one by hand with the rear raised. I've never had it apart and I have a leak at the pinion seal. Is there any definite answer as to what style it is, cone or clutch? I was told it was out of a '68 B body. Should I live with the mystery and replace the seal or go ahead and drop the center and take a look?

Send it down to me so I can look it over for you. :lol:
With the amount you drive I wouldn't tear it apart.

I bought this rear end assembly from a guy many years ago and installed it. It's been driven about 1/2 mile and on and off a trailer a couple times in the last 15 years. I am re-acquainting myself with the car as I start piecing it back together. The casting says it's a 741 with the tags saying Sure Grip and 2.94. I know both wheels spin the same direction when you spin one by hand with the rear raised. I've never had it apart and I have a leak at the pinion seal. Is there any definite answer as to what style it is, cone or clutch? I was told it was out of a '68 B body. Should I live with the mystery and replace the seal or go ahead and drop the center and take a look?

If it's original '68 99% it's a clutch type. If you want to find out without removing the 3rd member, pull an axle and look down the tube. The clutch type will have a small diameter button visible and the cone type won't.

If original, should be clutch type, which I prefer. The 741 is the light duty center, but they are pretty stout, the pinion is bigger than a 12 bolt Chebby.

Auto Transport Service
Back