• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.25 b body differential options 9 1/4

Bobpeg82

Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
Hi I have a 1979 Chrysler Cordoba and just picked up a 9.25 rear end out of a 79 Chrysler 300. I want to mildly drag race the car a couple times a year. So an aftermarket limited slip is what I want. I really want the eaton truetrac, but there is a post on summit Racing that says it does not fit the earlier 9 1/4 rears that don't have the tone ring. Please see attached pics and the difference between the housings. I believe the tone ring housing started in 84. Please let me know if any aftermarket carrier will work or is it possible to grind away some housing material to fit. Thank you so much

Screenshot_20240810_095835.jpg

Screenshot_20240810_095940.jpg

20240810_100553.jpg

It lo9ks like you might be able to grind the case, but you'll probably have to use a later cover.
If you were gonna do some serious racing with it, I'd suggest a Detroit locker.
Since you're not, I would be tempted to try a Powertrax lock right.
It will go in your open rear, turn it into a locker. If you are happy with the ratio it has, that's the direction I would go. (US standard gear also makes a spartan locker.) You could also look at Yukon duragrip.
I've never used one personally, but I do have a Detroit locker in my 8 3/4 and I like it. It has its quirks and noises, but they don't bother me. My 9"fords have spools.

I wouldn't put a "locker" in a car you intend to street drive most of the time.

I had bad luck with my 9-1/4", so I would suggest you look for a 8-3/4" rear end

I've had nothing but good luck with my 2000 "tone ring" 9 1/4 with 3.92 gears.

Towed, hauled, long burnouts, etc for 177,000 miles.

Auto Transport Service
Back