• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 Linkage On 727

JedIEG

Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
I would like to swap my A904 out for a A518. I would like to use the kickdown and shift linkages off the 904. Will that work? This is a console shifter and a one piece kickdown link.

answer this
does 904 lnkage work with a 727
It's all in the length of travel & geometry. Gotta agree with "wyrm", I got lucky with just going from 383 to 440 height. Couple extensions and adjustments. 3-piece linkage certainly helps.

My 92 A518 uses a cable instead of a rod for the TV.
Iirc I changed a 904 to a 727 on a 73 318 Charger and everything hooked right up...but that was 40+ years ago.

I did a 727 swap on a 318 powered 70 Sport Fury and had to do a little finesse work to make it function properly....but I also swapped the 2bbl for a 4bbl at the same time so was messing with that whole change as well.

The A518 most likely was set up to run a cable system but I'm sure it can be made to work with the rod TV set-up. Might have to swap out the lever for an earlier one?

The 518 case and tail have no provisions for the KD and shifter brackets.

My unknown here is the throttle/shift shaft location on the 727 vs 904. The engine, 4160 carb & intake are the same, shift and throttle lever arms are the same, shift linkage is the same so travel should be the same. So my logic says it should work unless the shaft position is different. I believe I have the stock single piece 318/2bbl linkage pn 3462760 cross listed with 400/2bbl in the parts catalog.

Auto Transport Service
Back