• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A couple 71 SE Charger questions for the pros

Neal Zimmerman

Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
So if u had a 1971 SE Charger that came with the 383 four barrel engine and the rear valence has dual cut outs for exhaust, would that mean the motor was a 383 magnum?? The vin is M code so we know its a 4 barrel 383, but Im not sure what that means exactly. Were all 4 barrel 383s HP/ Magnum or were there other types?
The fender tag is gone as well as the original engine unfortunately, and the build sheet as well.
A buddies looking at one here and asked me, so i thought i would ask you guys.
Its a nice solid car with a few interesting options, even without the fender tag i think its still worth the price. And I guess you can have a new fender tag made if u wanted to pay the money.

So if u had a 1971 SE Charger that came with the 383 four barrel engine and the rear valence has dual cut outs for exhaust, would that mean the motor was a 383 magnum?? The vin is M code so we know its a 4 barrel 383, but Im not sure what that means exactly. Were all 4 barrel 383s HP/ Magnum or were there other types?
The fender tag is gone as well as the original engine unfortunately, and the build sheet as well.
A buddies looking at one here and asked me, so i thought i would ask you guys.
Its a nice solid car with a few interesting options, even without the fender tag i think its still worth the price. And I guess you can have a new fender tag made if u wanted to pay the money.
Also could a 71SE be ordered with the bulge hood or was that strictly RT/ Superbee only,

There was only one 383 4 bbl offered in a 71 Charger.

You technically could not get the power bulge hood on an SE. Did one or couple slip out? Who knows. Nobody will believe it without some type of factory documentation to prove it.

The 71 383 4BBL is/was a high performance engine according to Dodge back in the day, that said I do not believe it was referred to as a "magnum" in 71 although the specs seem very similar to the 70 version. You have to remember that in 71 emissions were becoming a thing and the 71 engines were victims of that. The 71 383/4 was rated at 300 hp.

My '71 SE was built in L.A. March 1971. It was sold to someone in San Francisco. It is an N code 383 HP dual exhaust N41, and had turn down exhaust. Which means no cut outs in the rear valance. N97

As far I know the 383 Magnum introduction for the Charger (previously exclusive for the SuperBee for B bodies on Dodge) was on 70 and replaced the standard 383 4 barrels option available up to 69.

IIRC "N" is the LP 383-4, while "P" is the HP 343-4.

Confusing and not well documented.

Some years one was the "California" engine.

P is 400HP 72 and up. N is 383HP in 71, no LP 383 was available in the Charger in 71.

All N code 71 Chargers came standard with duel exhaust with turn downs. Tips were optional.

The budge hood was only on Super Bee and R/T models as mentioned.

Auto Transport Service
Back