• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little Bullitt Movie info

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
"BULLIT": The "story" I heard was the 390 S-code Mustang could not keep up w/ the big 440 Charger. Also, it was an early build Charger because of the Movie release date. The Chargers' driver (the hit man) was the actual "stunt driver" and they just let him play the part. He was in another movie too as a driver.

Yeah, the Driver of the Charger didn't have many lines to remember lol

The Charger driver was a stuntman named Bill Hickman. He was a wheelman in dozens of flicks in the '60's and 70's. The man sure could drive.

I thought that I read so where, that somebody is still in possession, of one of the original cars from the movie? damage left intact and all. And missing "eight" hubcaps I'm sure

"BULLIT": The Chargers' driver (the hit man) was the actual "stunt driver" and they just let him play the part. He was in another movie too as a driver.

Story also goes that Steve McQueen didn't want a stunt driver and insisted on doing the driving himself. He and Hickman spent time on a racetrack near San Fran to get familiar with the cars - enough so that the director thought to give McQueen a chance at driving it. Turns out he only lasted a day. The scene where McQueen overshoots the turn, has to backup and then does a burnout actually wasn't planned that way at all - it was his attempt at stunt driving the Mustang and a major goof up. A real stunt driver then was put back in.

I should print this map and do the drive!! All except the crash in flames part.

sitting on the couch last night i decided i wanted to watch an on demand movie. BULLITT pops in my head and i locate it and watch it.

the chase scene was awesome now that i finally got to see the whole thing....one thing i did notice tho.....that charger handeled pretty well,. how did they get that car to handle so well....and the other thing i noticed was,,,,,on the charger.... all four hub caps flew off of it 3 times during one chase.....LOL... wheres that continuity director?

8 hubcaps I think, and did you hear how many times Steve McQueen shifted ? think that stang had a 6 speed lol

yeah BIGMAN...im the worst dude to watch a movie with....i notice the stupidest dumbest things.like ....when she was telling mcqueen that she dont like his life of violence....they pan to the freeway....same shot 2wice of the cars in traffic....LOL. i liked the movie tho....it held my interest. then right before the charger bit the dust.....IT HAD ALL THE HUBCAPS ON IT AGAIN.toooooooooooooooooooooooo funny!

i just got a HUGE hd TV...and when they were flyin over the moguls in the road...felt like i was on a roller coaster.WOOOOOOOOOOOOO. BEST CHASE SCENE FO SHO!

Bullitt Charger

I'm a Steve McQueen fan, he did many races for real in his life, was a real racer, Can Am, F1, Le Mans, Porches Club, SCCA & others, motorcycle racing also, mostly off road type desert racing motorcycles, he also did most all of his own stunts, except the much more dangerous ones, in many movies he was involved with, the biggest detraction was the insurance companies underwriters, would often hesitate to insure him while doing stunts, because the star appeal of Steve McQueen Liability issues were extreme... Bullitt is a good old late 60's movie, the chase scene & Jacqueline Bassett is the best parts, IMHO anyway, the rest is a typical old cop movie... There is a site www.DodgeCharger.com forum that has a few threads about the Charger's from Bullitt, sorry I don't have a link to the exact threads, you will need to do the search yourself...

Attachments

• 68 Charger Bullit flying.jpg
    68 Charger Bullit flying.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 233
  • 68 Charger Bullitt Airborn Charger.jpg
    68 Charger Bullitt Airborn Charger.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 68 Charger Bullitt tire smoke.jpg
    68 Charger Bullitt tire smoke.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 68 Charger Bullitt before chase scene.jpg
    68 Charger Bullitt before chase scene.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 68 Charger Bullitt Movie scenes.jpg
    68 Charger Bullitt Movie scenes.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 68 Mustang 390-GT Bullitt Steve McQueen.jpg
    68 Mustang 390-GT Bullitt Steve McQueen.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 69 Porche Steve McQueen gulf-porsche LeMans.jpg
    69 Porche Steve McQueen gulf-porsche LeMans.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 219
Sweet Pics guys...
Thanks for the neat info.
Yeah, that was a MAJOR problem for the 67/68 Mustang being very underpowered and that is why Bob Tasca in Rhode Island built the new "428" called it a Cobra Jet, put it in the fastback and Henry Ford "the Deuce" bought it!

"BULLIT": The "story" I heard was the 390 S-code Mustang could not keep up w/ the big 440 Charger. Also, it was an early build Charger because of the Movie release date. The Chargers' driver (the hit man) was the actual "stunt driver" and they just let him play the part. He was in another movie too as a driver.

What I Read In A Magazine Right After Production Finished On The Movie Was The Fact The Car That Could Not Keep Up Was The Chevy Powered Camera Car They Used!

Yeah,
The "S-code" 390 is a dog. Yes it can be built but on the streets it was losing. Bob Tasca from RI recognized this and developed the 428 Cobra jet. (Cobra-Jet...a little play on Chevys' Thunder Jet...Ha Ha)
The 68 1/2 Fastback won the 1968 winternationals.
The 440 charger consistently WALKED away from the Mustang in the movie and in real life.
Chevy's just plain SUCK and the clowns buying the new Camaro are "Sheeple". Sheep-people!
I have two 2007 Shelby GT500s
One has the plate: TASCA
One has 193 miles on it.
PS: I'm out here at Edwards AFB in the "Sunny" Mojave desert.

The Charger driver was a stuntman named Bill Hickman. He was a wheelman in dozens of flicks in the '60's and 70's. The man sure could drive.

I was at our weekly saturday night car show and a guy was there with a 68 charger, started to talk with him about the movie and his uncle was Bill Hickman and he told me alot of interesting things about the movie. The part where the charger hits the gas station, the charger did not have a engine and if you look closely you can see a tow bar on the front bumper connecting the charger to the mustang and the driver of the mustang had a release in it , but according to this guy he actually released it soon. And yes what you said was true about Bill Hickman. He use to drive the police crazy because they could never catch him. The guy said he died in the 80s I guess because he drank so much, don't know how true that is.

I will point out that neither of those license plates jive with the years of the cars. There is a logic behind the lettering system for the CA plates and both cars, assuming they were sold in CA at the time, the plates should start with either a W or and X for 1968. In my experience I have seen few exceptions to this rule. You will also note there is no month sticker, and I don't think the 68 reg sticker was white (pink I believe), so they must be "prop" plates. Cool pics! Thanks for posting!

Steve McQueen and realism. No camera undercranking. True fast driving without special effects.
The chase scene by which all others will be judged.
Real doctors. Real architects. Real morgue.

I especially liked the MOPAR youtube video.
Deep Purple's Space Trucking was perfect.
A song which didn't get overplayed on the radio.

At least it was a Camaro that got trashed in Vanishing Point and not the Challenger.

Auto Transport Service
Back