• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A518 + 6.4 Hemi + 70’s Satellite

I should have been more specific...In regards to the 1970 and older B body cars. One guy with a '68 Charger got around it by using spacers between the K member and frame rails. I would never suggest that though.
A local guy here gave me a 46RH that he had in his '70 Barracuda. I don't recall that he had fitment troubles but the trans did have some clearance cuts in the ribbing.
So when I get to it I am using a 5.7 hemi with a 518 in a 1965 coronet, I am stipp stripping down the body and hunting parts. The car is a convertible so it needs floor pans. I was under the impression the hump had to be enlarged, so I was going to slide the engine and trans in it before I did the floor boards. I think I can fab a trans cross member without using spacers. So how tight is the OD part of the trans in the tunnel?

I know this is an old post but I'm wondering if you went forward with this plan and how did it work out. I'd love to put in a 500 od with those better ratios into my 383.
I still have parts but I probably won't be making the swap, I got my old car back & it already was O/D... Since the green car is a numbers matching R/T Vert I'm thinking it's best I leave it stock & use the red car for the longer drives....

Actually since the red car is a clone I'm in the process of putting a TKO 5 spd in it...

So when I get to it I am using a 5.7 hemi with a 518 in a 1965 coronet, I am stipp stripping down the body and hunting parts. The car is a convertible so it needs floor pans. I was under the impression the hump had to be enlarged, so I was going to slide the engine and trans in it before I did the floor boards. I think I can fab a trans cross member without using spacers. So how tight is the OD part of the trans in the tunnel?
How the heck would I know?

01 face 4.gif

I was given that transmission but never installed it.

Mine is untouched. I’ve talked to the guys from uscartools and they say the crossmember needs no modification. I don’t have any other combination to compare.
I realize this is an older thread but I’m curious if you needed to modify the crossmember? Some say yes and others say no. I’m getting ready to swap a 6.4 A518 into my Bee and wanting to keep the column shift. I believe my only option is the 518. Thanks

No need to cut the crossmember for the 518. Just cut a few ribs from the trans

Yes. Because the hump on the trans you need to. Or you need the trans bracket.

Now my car has the nag1 trans with Holley brackets.

Had to cut the crossmember and hammer the tunnel a few places. And cut a few ribs from the trans.

Yes. Because the hump on the trans you need to. Or you need the trans bracket.

Now my car has the nag1 trans with Holley brackets.
Do you know if the Holley bracket will work with the 518 trans? It doesn’t list it specifically but my assumption was that it drops the rear of the trans down so it might?

Well when putting your engine 3 inch forwards you need to make your own bracket. Make sure the angle is correct. 0-3 degree downwards and the pinion 0-3 degree upwards.

Auto Transport Service
Back