• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Actual car weight with big block

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
I have a 66 Charger 361 with factory air. Has anyone actually weighed one with a big block? I have read old road tests and seen test weights anywhere between 3600-4200 lbs. Other places I see 200 lbs. more than a similar Coronet.

I used to have a 3-seat 1967 Coronet wagon, with 440, 4-speed. It weighed 4250.

I understand the early Charges were a little heavier than a similar year b-body Satellite or Coronet. Maybe due to large rear window and extra trim inside. Not sure if it’s true.

I have a 66 Charger 361 with factory air. Has anyone actually weighed one with a big block? I have read old road tests and seen test weights anywhere between 3600-4200 lbs. Other places I see 200 lbs. more than a similar Coronet.
If you figure 4,000 lb. (1814 kg) for the car I think you're pretty close.
My guess would be about 400 lbs more than a Coronet.
But no I haven't weighed mine.

My New York State title lists it at 3,713 lb. which is pretty much meaningless but I thought I'd include it as a bit of useless trivia.

66-67 b bodies are heavier than a simular equipped 68-70. Used to drag race a 67 and friends & I weighed them & compared to their their 68's.

Now add in all the 66-67 Charger trim, grille and fold down rear seat & interior plus the AC and it's easily over 4000. And I wouldn't bet against 41-4200.

No A/C , they're about 3800. I got my racecar down to 3250, all steel, full dash only lexan side windows. Most interior panels, 1 race seat.

Hell, that 66 full length center console must weigh 100 lbs.

My loaded 70 Charger R/T S.E. is 4290 with a 1/4 tank of gas, without me in it on certified scales. I have had other B Bodies as low as a little over 3800.

This may explain my experience in taking my TF 383 64 Sport Fury to the drag strip one Saturday in 1970. No one else was in my class and when they lined me up a 66 or 67 TF Hemi Charger was put in the other lane. When i spied those Hemi emblems I figured this was going to be bad and leave me looking pretty damn silly. Turns out he wasn’t any better out of the hole than I was and we left together and stayed bumper to bumper into 2nd gear. At that point he started to crawl ahead of me but by the lights he only had a couple or three at most lengths on me so overall so I didn’t feel too bad. If he was packing 5-600 lbs more than my car that could explain a lot. Still got a throphy for my class. :rolleyes:

This may explain my experience in taking my TF 383 64 Sport Fury to the drag strip one Saturday in 1970. No one else was in my class and when they lined me up a 66 or 67 TF Hemi Charger was put in the other lane. When i spied those Hemi emblems I figured this was going to be bad and leave me looking pretty damn silly. Turns out he wasn’t any better out of the hole than I was and we left together and stayed bumper to bumper into 2nd gear. At that point he started to crawl ahead of me but by the lights he only had a couple or three at most lengths on me so overall so I didn’t feel too bad. If he was packing 5-600 lbs more than my car that could explain a lot. Still got a throphy for my class. :rolleyes:
Sounds about right, Hemi cars are slow out of the hole unless they have deep gears.

Auto Transport Service
Back