• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

aftermarket Alternator recommendations.

2blader

Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
So I have dual electric fans on my car and when they kick in it kills the idle on the engine. 472 Crossram Hemi. I have some polished alternator on the car now and hate the look anyways. It looks to be a square back and has a small regulator like attachment wired to the rear of it. Is that a 1 wire conversion harness? I am updating my alternator wire from 8 AWG to a 4 AWG. Yup just want to have everything covered. My ground strap is huge. One of the woven stainless steel types. Question is what Alternators can I get for it? OEM looks are not a concern as nothing on this car is OEM. Part numbers are a plus. Current alternator below. Thank Scott

image.jpg

image.jpg

I use a Denso 80 amp alternator for a Toyota 4Runner. You can get mounting bracket and pigtail kits made by AR Engineering.
They don't require an external regulator and charge 14 volts at idle. I used to have an HHR fan, electric water pump, and a BG 280 fuel pump and it ran them all no problem. I don't have a part number handy but if you search Moparts for the subject there were a few discussions on this topic.
Gus

I use a Denso 80 amp alternator for a Toyota 4Runner. You can get mounting bracket and pigtail kits made by AR Engineering.
They don't require an external regulator and charge 14 volts at idle. I used to have an HHR fan, electric water pump, and a BG 280 fuel pump and it ran them all no problem. I don't have a part number handy but if you search Moparts for the subject there were a few discussions on this topic.
Gus
Was thinking along the lines of this. This way all my mounts still work.
Proform Parts 440-473 Proform Alternators | Summit Racing

A couple of things you want to know before buying one. What do the fans draw when they start and what does the alt. output at an idle or slow speed? This should give you an idea of what you need. Total output at rated high speed means about nothing. I've seen many alt. with high output put the same amount at idle as the low output ones do.

A couple of things you want to know before buying one. What do the fans draw when they start and what does the alt. output at an idle or slow speed? This should give you an idea of what you need. Total output at rated high speed means about nothing. I've seen many alt. with high output put the same amount at idle as the low output ones do.
Thanks Bob.

Auto Transport Service
Back