• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am Radio help

Well that appears to be a totally original thumb wheel MOPAR unit so based on what "Some Car Guy" said I'd guess 8 OHMs is your target and the last configuration I told you about should be correct. Again, I'd hope more guys would offer even more positive input. Good luck with the outcome.
No your drawing will not give you what you are looking for.

Did you ever determine the original speaker impedance value. Some Gar Guy sounded pretty positive about the single front speaker setup being 8 Ohms.

Using that rating you could wire two rear deck 8 Ohm speakers in parallel effectively giving you 4 Ohms impedance back there; then wire that in series with the 4 X 10" front speaker. The end result would be an 8 OHM load.
If I am reading this right you are saying 3 8 ohm speakers correct? And could someone draw out how to wire them I just need it roughed out if possible.

If I where to simplify things with two 8 ohm speakers and a fader switch would it look something like this wired?

Attachments

• Radio_Wiring.pdf
    9.4 KB · Views: 13
If I am reading this right you are saying 3 8 ohm speakers correct? And could someone draw out how to wire them I just need it roughed out if possible.
One more time.... Unless some has a better idea we are believing the original speaker was 8 OHMs. To give your car one speaker in dash and two speakers on the rear deck and load the radio output with 8 ohm impedance; you will need to do this. First wire the rear speakers together in parallel ( + to + and - to -) then attach the radio positive (+) output to the front speaker positive (+), the radio negative (-) output to the rear speaker negative (-) and then run a wire between the front speaker negative (-) terminal and the rear speaker positive (+) terminal. Like this... It's crude but hopefully you get the idea.

Three Speaker .jpg

Last edited:
The factory speaker was 8-10 ohms. If the car had a rear speaker it would have been run through a fader switch. I'm not much on wiring in speakers, but I think @Gold Rush called it correctly.
And yes, factory radios were 3 watt, with a 5 watt chrome push button one optional on Charger and Coronet.
'68 had Plymouth face. All '69s except the 5 watt had the Chrysler face.

One more time.... Unless some has a better idea we are believing the original speaker was 8 OHMs. To give your car one speaker in dash and two speakers on the rear deck and load the radio output with 8 ohm impedance; you will need to do this. First wire the rear speakers together in parallel ( + to + and - to -) then attach the radio positive (+) output to the front speaker positive (+), the radio negative (-) output to the rear speaker negative (-) and then run a wire between the front speaker negative (-) terminal and the rear speaker positive (+) terminal. Like this... It's crude but hopefully you get the idea.

View attachment 1656331
Yes that makes sense thank you for working through this with me, I appreciate your time..

The factory speaker was 8-10 ohms. If the car had a rear speaker it would have been run through a fader switch. I'm not much on wiring in speakers, but I think @Gold Rush called it correctly.
And yes, factory radios were 3 watt, with a 5 watt chrome push button one optional on Charger and Coronet.
'68 had Plymouth face. All '69s except the 5 watt had the Chrysler face.
Ok thank you for the clarification on wattage good information to have.

Auto Transport Service
Back