• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AM radio questions....

RRSweden

Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi.

I just removed my AM-radio out of my Road Runner 1971.
I was thinking about if its possible to make an AUX-input in it in some way? So It can be used with the original on/off/volume-switch...

Has Anyone tried this?
Is the original amp strong enough to get two 6"x9" speakers plus the dash speaker to sound ok? (my 383 sounds a lot :)

Or is it a better idea to buy a new little amp? I would wanna control it with the original knob if possible...

Would love to hear your ideas, and thoughts about this...

M/

Hi RRSweden,

I have not personally modified an AM radio this way, although there have been some guys who have used the tape player input as a type of AUX input. I am not familiar with the conversion for this. Even if you do this, you still have limited power.

There are a number of places that sell or convert radios so they look like original radios but they have high power and AUX capability. I had my AM radio converted - see pictures below. You can also buy the radios outright - here is just one example, but there are many styles available: http://www.classiccarstereos.com/category/Plymouth-Roadrunner-Radio.html

This is my radio and now has full speaker outputs for 4 speakers, high power (with subwoofer), line outputs, plus aux inputs and Bluetooth capability with a microphone and hands free capability...
IMG_4340.jpg

...and yet it looks like this.
IMG_4369.jpg

Thats just awesome!

Do you feel like sharing how it was done?

I can see that you dont have any casette either...
I think I'll start with converting it with a aux-input. And tyr it with the original amp... Though I reallize I will get limited power to my speakers...

- - - Updated - - -

oops.. I didn't see that you wrote you didn't do this personally...

If you want an "AUX" input in your stereo but want to keep it looking original, sounding modern and powerful, and not spend a lot, here's what I did...

Leave the AM radio alone. Leave it hooked up to the DASH speaker. When you want to be nostalgic, flip it on and listen to that. No modifications.

You're probably wondering what the heck I am talking about at this point but it's simple... Instead of having one radio system, you'll have 2. The second one will not have a head unit and therefore can EASILY be hidden from sight. You will use your ipod or cellphone or other device as the head unit. You will operate the volume control from the device (like you would work it to adjust volume on a set of headphones).

Lots of people are doing these systems in older cars, on jet skis, boats, whatever and they work great. All in on my system, I spent about $250-275 not including the price of the ipod.

I have a cable running from the earphone output of my ipod to a 750 watt Pioneer 4 channel amp mounted in the trunk (hooked up to run off the input from only 2 channels but output to 4 channels). Then I have 2 Kicker 6x9" speakers in the stock location in the package tray. I also have 2 Kicker 5.25" speakers mounted up front.

It's as simple as that. The am radio works fine like original. Then the ipod system just plugs right in and I have modern sounds that are hidden from sight. I'm able to listen to my music or use the system as a hands free phone device, or listen to my navigation system from the phone, whatever.

I ran the cable (that goes from my ipod to the amp) right up beside the center console and it comes out along my driver's side seat belt so it's easily accessible.

This is just another option for you. It's cheap. Easy to do (if you understand how to install an amp). And it gives you the best of both worlds.

Auto Transport Service
Back