• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Annoying issue: Ads pulling cursor focus away from typing forum posts

Coelacanth

Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds it very annoying when you're typing or replying to a forum post and suddenly your cursor disappears, your typing halts in mid-sentence or mid-word because a popup ad pulled the window focus away from your typing? And sometimes 2 or 3 times, you have to click back in the text box to continue typing?

I understand the need and importance of ads but this is bad ad programming that shouldn't be happening.

I mentioned it on the A body side a few months ago.

Agree, very annoying.

Not as bad if you are a gold member.

I mentioned it on the A body side a few months ago.

Agree, very annoying.

Not as bad if you are a gold member.
Not at all if you are a Gold member. (as far as I see)

all the time. Ive kind of gotten use to it. Thinking it was just my laptop

What I see here as a Gold member.
1723039117159.png

Ads are prevalent everywhere on forums, it's a necessary source of revenue. But they should never interfere with you while you're typing a forum post. I can't recall any other forum I've been on that had this behavior. I've seen ads pop up and obstruct or overlap main webpage content, that's a lot more common, and also bad programming...but something pulling the focus away from my typing when I'm in the middle of a sentence is a new one. This shouldn't happen whether you're a Gold member or not.

Ads are prevalent everywhere on forums, it's a necessary source of revenue. But they should never interfere with you while you're typing a forum post. I can't recall any other forum I've been on that had this behavior. I've seen ads pop up and obstruct or overlap main webpage content, that's a lot more common, and also bad programming...but something pulling the focus away from my typing when I'm in the middle of a sentence is a new one. This shouldn't happen whether you're a Gold member or not.
@Joeychgo need to answer here. I don't believe the ads are generated by the site so how they work might not be able to be fixed.

and of course I agree -- But sometimes you get a particular ad that misbehaves. Can you post a screenshot?

Gold members dont get any ads.

Unfortunately a screenshot won't show anything. I could share a short video clip showing it happening if you PM your email. Basically as I'm typing this right now, normally you see the flashing "I" insertion point indicating where your next typed character will appear, it will suddenly disappear and whatever you're typing halts. A better way to describe it is if you had 2 Word documents open, and were typing in one, then somehow the second document got clicked, the typing in the first document would stop as focus is on the second one. I hope that helps. :)

It would be nice to get an update on this. I've also noticed the site totally freezing for a few seconds, ostensibly when an ad is trying to load. Like, the scroll function just locks up for a few seconds. Ads are part of every forum now but they should *not* break how they function. 3 times during the typing of this response, I've had my cursor disappear and make me have to click back in this text box to continue typing.

Please sign in with a non-Gold member status and do some testing.

I pay for the gold membership to have less problems and enjoy the site/forum.
I would be throughly frustrated dealing with your issues and time wasted. And I am retired.

I pay for the gold membership to have less problems and enjoy the site/forum.
I would be throughly frustrated dealing with your issues and time wasted. And I am retired.
And it costs less than $1 per week.

You gents are missing the point. Ads are necessary, but should NOT affect basic forum functionality. Breaking a forum in at least 2 ways shouldn't be a reason to get people to pay for a membership. I don't mind ads at all, they're everywhere. But they shouldn't break the forum.

You seam to use the site, forgotten about the ads and the annoyance they are. If you can afford the $50 try gold membership for a year, don't renew.

Again, to clarify: I don't mind the ads. It's the ones with buggy code causing forum function to be compromised that annoys me. This is the only forum that I've been on that exhibits this behavior. And I've been on a great many forums, I'm an I.T. manager. I've been working with computers since YouTube...didn't HAVE ads. ;)

Great, let's all sidestep the sinkhole. Why bother fixing it? :rolleyes:

I tried to help by pointing out a fairly major issue and offered to help with a video, but I give up.

I made a suggestion in gold member discussions about members buying a 30 day gold membership for $10.If they like it they can sign up in the 30 days and get the full year for $40.

I can't recall any other forum I've been on that had this behavior.
I only belong to a couple outside of the F*BO group....and they both suck as far as advert placement goes....so I disagree with you on that.

I'm on an audio forum that uses the same code as FxBO.

Their ads don't cause the page to lock or lose focus.

However, they haven't figured out how to keep the 40% page filling ads that come up from the bottom out like Joey has.

Auto Transport Service
Back