• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another fender tag decode!!!

Mark Savoy

Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
1962 Plymouth Savoy
VIN first four: 3121
Tag pictured
Any help appreciated

IMG_0170.jpeg

62 plymouth savoy two door sedan, 361 four barrel. Transmission could be three speed manual, but I am not sure. Bench seat interior. Sandstone body colour. This is a start, I can do more later, although my info is limited for 1962.

62 plymouth savoy two door sedan, 361 four barrel. Transmission could be three speed manual, but I am not sure. Bench seat interior. Sandstone body colour. This is a start, I can do more later, although my info is limited for 1962.
Thanks for the help!! I’ve come up with those same things so far as well

3-Plymouth Fleet V8
1-Savoy
2-1962
1-Lynch Road MI

4 under the A - 361 4bbl 305 hp
5 under the B is transmission but the code "345" isn't showing up as a 1962 option for some reason.

Lynch Road has very limited info compared to other plants. Hopefully there will be someone with updated codes.

C1- AM radio, J5- heater with defroster, L3- backup lights, M8- windsheild washer, T1-outside left manual mirror. The numbers 21 and 124 have to do with the fixture the body was built in. On the bottom row 0704 is the scheduled production date July 4th 1962. 0251 along with 0704 is the shipping order number. Does your car have a column shift 3 speed manual transmission?

C1- AM radio, J5- heater with defroster, L3- backup lights, M8- windsheild washer, T1-outside left manual mirror. The numbers 21 and 124 have to do with the fixture the body was built in. On the bottom row 0704 is the scheduled production date July 4th 1962. 0251 along with 0704 is the shipping order number. Does your car have a column shift 3 speed manual transmission?
So this car isn’t anywhere near original..it has a period correct 4spd….A883 I believe was the heavy duty four speed after 63. I believe it was originally a 3spd manual on the floor because there are no signs of Colomn shift, and the golden commando 361 I believe had floor shift 3spd in 62. It’s also not the original colors…it’s the gray now but the tag codes as TTT, which is sandstone

Thanks for the transmission info. My books don't have code 5 for 62, but for 63 it was column shift manual, which is why I wondered about it.

Doesn't appear to be backup lights in his pictures but you don't know if they might have been removed.

First muscle car=Savoy!!!! Whooda thunk it!!!
I believe your are correct on the back up lights….not sure if they were removed, or if there’s a fender tag issue here. Either way, we love the car, and it’s not a big deal. This is what a young man in the mid to late sixties could’ve built as a good street car to piss some people around town off!!! The car also has a radio block off plate but the fender tag shows a radio callout….i believe.

So this car isn’t anywhere near original..it has a period correct 4spd….A883 I believe was the heavy duty four speed after 63. I believe it was originally a 3spd manual on the floor because there are no signs of Colomn shift, and the golden commando 361 I believe had floor shift 3spd in 62. It’s also not the original colors…it’s the gray now but the tag codes as TTT, which is sandstone
62’s with 361 GC came with either 3 spd manual or with automatic 727 transmission. The only floor shift in 62 was a 3 spd manual with 413 Max Wedge option.

Auto Transport Service
Back