• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another kickdown question

74gtx

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
Could someone please send me in the right direction? I have tried everything possible on this thing, I even changed the intake and carb back to a t quad as a possible remedy. My problem is the only time my car will shift correctly i have to adjust the linkage so the carb only opens half way, I was hoping the carb swap would help. The car is a 74 roadrunner with a 440/727 the kickdown has no adjustment on the linkage. I have drilled different holes on the slotted piece and can not get it right to save my life. Sorry so long i could go on forever with this damn thing. Thank you, Mike

Sounds like you also don't have a FSM, do you?

It sounds like you have incorrect kick-down linkage. The correct 74 B-Body linkage is a one piece rod and it adjusts at the trans adjuster. Sending message

No fsm. The linkage is a one piece bar with a small piece of flat stock with the slot.

Hopefully this helps
image.jpeg

Thanks 69a100. I did adjust it on the transmission as far as possible, its so far that the rod is only through one side of the attachment on the transmission. I also adjusted the kickdown band while I was at it. Would the other band adjustment make any difference? I understand how the rod works but for some reason it just wont work properly, its like I have to much play on the lever in the transmission. Thanks, Mike

It is also very important that you have the correct lever on the trans especially if your trans is not the original one. There are many different angled and clocked levers and if you don't have the correct one you will never be able to adjust it correctly assuming you have the correct throttle cable bracket and KD rod.

It is also very important that you have the correct lever on the trans especially if your trans is not the original one. There are many different angled and clocked levers and if you don't have the correct one you will never be able to adjust it correctly assuming you have the correct throttle cable bracket and KD rod.
This ^^^
I had a similar issue, and you are on the right track. You likely need a longer lever on the transmission side. What this will do is give more travel for a given amount of throttle opening. This is a good read. See pic 4/15.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transm...wdown-on-stock-torqueflite-kick-down-linkage/

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'll see about extending the rod or possible the Lokar set up. Mike

Go to Buchillon or Mancinni web sites and look at the install instructions. this will help you understand the relationship between the throttle travel and the trans lever travel. You will be better of with the Buchillon set up as the parts in the kit are engineered for the correct travel. The lokar kit is not.

I just went through fighting with regard the wrong trans lever. It was the right length,but the hole where it mounts on the shaft was clocked differently . I am still working with the original style kickdown linkage, but if your car is modified, I would get the Lokar setup from Summit.

If the trans was gone thru, possibly the TV valve is misadjusted on the valvebody.

Thanks for all of the info. It seems to me its the relationship in travel as early b mentioned. I would like to keep stock appearing linkage if possible but at this point i would like the function first. I bought the tf2 kit but want to sort this out before I add to it. Seems this car was built with spare parts. Thanks again, Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back