• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Ram 50.

SteveSS

Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
I've talked about our first 1981 Dodge Ram 50. It's really a rebranded Mitsubishi Mighty Max. My uncle bought it new in California then it was given to my dad and now I own it. My son has formed an emotional attachment to it. It's a black Royal 5 speed and looks brand new. Picture off
50.jpg
the net for illustration.

Last night my son found a 1982 Dodge Ram 50 4x4 for $1,000. It's rough but still very cool. He hopes someday to find a Ram 50 4x4 turbodiesel.

They are cool. a buddy of mine had a brand new Plymouth Arrow Sport back in the day, i really liked it, got into a lot of trouble with it as well.

I too am hoping to cross paths with one of the elusive diesels.

Installed more than a couple of the famous used Jap motors @ $400.each The 2.0 was used on many Asian cars besides the Mitsubishi. They were an engine supplier for Hyundai as well. They just used a different engine mount to put the engine in transversely. So if you need a cheap replacement engine any of the 2.0 fwd cars from the 80's will fill the bill. Just make sure to keep your old mounts and manifolds.

Last edited:
Dakota was/is a far better platform

my stepfather had a Dodge d-50 (rebranded Mitsubishi) 4x4, 5 speed (?)
bought brand new late 81 (I think)
white with red pinstripes, dark-red cloth interior (IIRC) fugly

I don't remember much about it, I did drive it once
I wasn't impressed either, really cramped cab 1st off
(my stepdad is a bigger guy too)
I was mostly away at school at the time, didn't see it much

I know he didn't have it long &
he was the type to usually hold on to/keep his vehicles for 10+ years

I do remember him complaining about it being a gutless pig
(ol' drag-racers never die or change)
he ended up with a new Scamp/Rampage, he used for work & commuting
that didn't last long either
we eventually traded
my ol' 71 Demon 225cid slant/6 & 3 on the tree
for an old Sport Satellite 383 4speed, they (for my Mom) bought new in 1968
he drove that il' Demon for another 10 years 350k, to the powerplants/refineries
(he was a lifer/Union Pipefitter)

with today's tech/parts etc. "yes" they could be made a lil' better
just not a good platform

I hate to say it, being a MoPar/Dodge truck loyalist
but Toyota's SR5 back then, that era, were far better trucks
in either 2wd or 4x4, for a compact truck/pick-up

Last edited:
I didn't mean to say they were all that great. We just have an emotional attachment to them. Ours has run great all these years. For years the truck would embarrass my daughter. We called it the ugly little black truck. I remember my daughter was mortified when my parents picked her up from school with it. Now we all think it's cool.

There were some crazy trim packages but Dodge was kind of known for that during this time.

smog.jpg
smog.jpg
smog 2.jpg
smog.jpg

Last edited:
It' won't let me edit the multiple photos there but you get the idea.

The Ram 50 was a fun truck to drive and easy on parts. I had a used 1984 Ram 50 4x4 Prospector (High trim grade) that came with a shell for the bed, was 5-speed, had the optional gauges and an aftermarket radio. Color was white with red stripes, blue interior. Also had a grill/brush guard with off-road lights. Bought it that way from the parts manager of the Plymouth dealership and he threw in a bunch of extra parts for it too.
I owned it from 1989 to around 2000. When I sold it, it still looked pretty good, but the floorboard was starting to rust out, and it was down on power from normal.

I remember when they were new, my father-in-law purchased one in 1979. With a 5-speed and 2.6 'hemi' four banger, it was actually a fun performer. At the same time, he picked up a '79 Arrow GT, with the 2.6 engine and automatic. It was peppy for it's day, quicker than a 305 Camaro. Spinning the tires was easy.

I have had three of these little trucks back in the 80's. They really took a beating and were actually really fun to drive and toss around. I proposed to my wife in one back in 1982 while enjoying a scenic sunset together. I drove nearly 30 miles (I think mostly on the rev limiter) rushing home to take my wife to the hospital to deliver our son back in another back in 1987. These little trucks hold some great memories for me.

I was working for a C-P-FIAT dealer in 1978. We had a new '79 Arrow truck as the parts/service runner. Fun to drive, but dogshit in snow! Killer heater, AM radio made radio noises, and that 2.6L 5-speed was fun!

Auto Transport Service
Back