• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another successful SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket launch and booster recovery

cool stuff for 'Space Force'
amazed still how the rockets come back & land
totally reusable

I thought Elon got cancelled?
nope
but he's opened up a truthful & honest can of proverbial worms

that they don't want him to, after he purchased Twitter
he devulged & spilled the beans & a shitload of nefarious crap
that what was actually happening there, before he purchased/owned it

Can't wait to see Starship fly! Also, can't understand why that flip manuever when it lands has to happen at the last second!

I always wondered why they did the splash downs and let everything crash to earth. This is a much more practical, cost effective solution. Wonder if any of this tech will be used for the mars mission.

The lack of progress in the space program from the 70's to Space X is pretty damn suspicious, isn't it? Space X does benefit from computer power that the engineers of the 70's and 80's could only imagine, but the materials don't appear to be more advanced. I mean, they're using stainless steel instead of carbon fiber. I'm sure there's carbon somewhere, and maybe the alloys are more advanced, but if you look at the projects the engineers of the time thought they could do; you have to ask if the holdup was on the engineering end or the political end. Things were consistently getting cancelled when they probably would have worked if there had been a will to push on.

Where would we be now if the Rockwell Star Raker or Project Orion had been built? We'd have colonies all over the solar system, but instead we did welfare spending, and boy did that ever pay off.

Never get tired of watching the boosters come back to earth and land upright. Brings me back to my youth and watching Buck Rogers.

The lack of progress in the space program from the 70's to Space X is pretty damn suspicious, isn't it? Space X does benefit from computer power that the engineers of the 70's and 80's could only imagine, but the materials don't appear to be more advanced. I mean, they're using stainless steel instead of carbon fiber. I'm sure there's carbon somewhere, and maybe the alloys are more advanced, but if you look at the projects the engineers of the time thought they could do; you have to ask if the holdup was on the engineering end or the political end. Things were consistently getting cancelled when they probably would have worked if there had been a will to push on.

Where would we be now if the Rockwell Star Raker or Project Orion had been built? We'd have colonies all over the solar system, but instead we did welfare spending, and boy did that ever pay off.
The Falcon booster rockets are aluminum-lithium skinned, not stainless. The stainless you're thinking of may be the 'Starship', which used stainless not only because it was cheaper than carbon fibre ($3 spent on stainless vs. $200 for carbon fibre per kilogram) but also carbon fibre loses much of it's integrity once you get past 350 degrees (f) while stainless will handle 1500 degrees, meaning much less heat shielding (which is heavy) would be required.

The Falcon re-useable boosters do have carbon fibre/aluminum honeycomb landing legs.

Yeah, I'm thinking about Starship, not Falcon. I wish I could be there when the first full stack Starship launches!

The boost back phase of the side boosters is amazing (@3:40). First time I've seen the "flip around and fly backwards" manuever in real life.

Might get nuclear powered Starship now - could have had it 50 years go. At least we ended poverty.

Auto Transport Service
Back