• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At what HP does a ding in the driveshaft matter?

MOPARENT

Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score
I've heard all the disaster stories, but I have a 4 speed in one of my 68 chargers with a stock 68 440 in it…Not a built drag car, just a stock cruiser. A driveshaft I'm looking at for the combo has a slight ding in it…all my friends say don't use it, you'll be sorry!…..What could go wrong here?..I have no slicks, don't do 8k rpm clutch drops and a stock sure grip with grammy gears…Apparently, 4 speed driveshafts are hard to find, so my choices are limited and I would like something factory….but the ding in the available shaft has cause for concern for everyone but me…am I missing something? Vibration? Massive failure/fracture? Can't a dinged up shaft be fixed?

It's probably fine. But if you have a driveline shop in your area that builds driveshafts they could put it on their balancer and tell you right away if it has balance or straightness issues. If by chance it does, rebuilding a driveshaft is pretty cheap. I had 2 Corvette driveshafts built and balanced for me about 20 years ago, using my existing yokes and they were about $120 each - polished and balanced. They couldn't have gone up too much.

Auto Transport Service
Back