• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August 2, 1990

patrick66

Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
Hey, folks, today represents a pretty historic moment in history. Iraq begain its invasion of Kuwait. And, the first full day of the massive buildup of troops in preparation for Gulf War I. I know exactly what I was doing on that day. I was on the beach in Trapani, Sicily on a TDY (yeah, rough, right?). I looked up and saw three B-52s fly overhead on an easterly heading; their contrails were pretty evident, and they were flying a three-ship formation. I know what I was going to be doing for a while.

Where were you then?

nato e-3.jpg

Last edited:
I was at Castle air patch when I got a call to pack my bags for a at least a week trip. They sent a 5 ship of tankers to Wake Is. to rally with B-1's coming out of Guam as they were there playing war games so they could get home to Ellsworth. Take off in a circular climb over Wake and offload 70K and land, sorties lasted less than a hour. Flew 3 times in a week then went home only to go on alert a week later. NKAWTG

That's when gas prices took off,,

And never really did come back.

Walking through the Battalion area heading to my platoon for some morning PT. Ft Bragg NC.
The S2 came running up to me to tell me about the invasion. I said "yeah so why do I care, he said because we are going to be rolling out soon..............

I was 5 months into a one year tour at King Salmon AFS, Alaska.

Last edited:
I was probably at some racetrack somewhere,
or to or from one...

later;
I did watch our General 'Storman Norman 'kick ***'
a lot of it live on TV, especially at night (before the MSM went woke)
& then our military "get the f--k out" like you should do,
not occupy & get intrenched
put the beat down on Suddam Hussein/Iraqi's 'surrender monkeys'

he was the man,
not some 'limp wristed' woke whiner, like this current admin.
American Military General US Army Norman Schwarzkopf.jpg

I met him in Saudi Arabia in 1995. The man was and is a true American hero.

I was at Travis AFB at that time. We began flying support missions along with the Active Duty...Reserves for me...loading up in the States and staging in Europe for sorties to Saudi. Then in October we were activated and spent 1 year on active. Flew so many sorties in and out of there that Air Medals/Ariel Achievement Awards were common. Had to be tough in those days to fly the Heavies...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Last edited:
I was a civilian for 1 year, 10 months & 27 days. Did my duty.
Was in the Med when the USS Stark got shot May 1987, boat was put on 12hr notice.

Auto Transport Service
Back