• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

auto shifter in 4spd hump will it work??

smatt

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
OK,
I'm still in the planning stages, hope to start working on my car in 2-3 weeks.
here is what I'm thinking of doing, anybody done this?

I bought a '68 coronet, the guy I got it from didn't do much other than strip the interior out, and buy brand new black bucket seats...

I'm thinking I don't want a column shift car with bucket seats, seems weird, so I'm going to switch the steering column out, (still looking for one)... and I was thinking I should put in a 4 speed hump, so I can switch it over to a 4spd in the future if I want with out redoing the carpet.

I was thinking of getting one of the B&M automatic shifters and mount it in the 4spd hump for now... Looks like it is just a matter of getting the right cable length, layout to make it work in the off center position.

Any chance anybody has tried this???

This is copied from B&M's website...
Most are operated by a cable from the shifter to the transmission. This allows for quick and easy installation and virtually unlimited shifter mounting positions in the vehicle. B&M offers two types of shifter installations –console and universal.

I installed a B&M directly on top of the hump with the extended 6 foot cable they sell.......I believe there would be enough length with that cable if you used a 4 speed hump install......the offset wouldn't be too demanding on the overall length of the cable, according to my memory banks.......:edgy:

Heree's a couple pics of the install directly ON the automatic hump........I had actually thought of welding a 4 speed hump in for it, but decided against it.....it'll work both ways me thinks.

111_1191.jpg

113_1315.jpg

What shifter model is that? Looks very nice!!

I like the looks of the B&M street rod shifter, but it is only for GM transmissions...

Looks like I will probably go with the quicksilver model, or the unimatic model.
I haven't really looked at any other than the B&M though.

maybe I should save the money and skip the 4spd hump also, but I was just thinking at least if it was in there I would always have the option to go to change from an auto to manual without disturbing the interior... my car has a strong running 318 in it now, so I plan to do the body and interior now, and upgrade the driveline/ suspension in a few years...

It's simply a Unimatic, cut off and drilled to accept 2 small bolts/lock-nuts to mount the stock Hurst shifter. Looks and works like a dream.

Auto Transport Service
Back