• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVS2 and Hemi Air Cleaner Base issue

BIGWILLI

Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I have AVS2 carbs (1903 and 1904), but it has issues with Hemi Air Cleaner Base Plate. Carbs of AVS2 is higher than normal Edelbrock Perform Carbs. With orange oval Air Cleaner for 70 Hemi (I drive with 68 Coronet R/T)…

see pictures. should I put spacer between Carbs and air cleaner Base plate? Maybe anyone know about height of spacer. I read mostly it needs 3/4“ spacer. But I don’t want Air Cleaner clearance issue with under hood. Maybe has stock air cleaner good clearance to hood.
Have anyone better solution of this issue?

IMG_4766.jpeg

IMG_4765.jpeg

IMG_4761.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4759.jpeg

If it were me, I would remove the cross piece from the base and solve both the fitment and the height issue. Once the air cleaner is assembled, no one would be the wiser. JMO ruffcut

If it were me, I would remove the cross piece from the base and solve both the fitment and the height issue. Once the air cleaner is assembled, no one would be the wiser. JMO ruffcut

I concur. If the cross-brace is blocking the air cleaner from seating fully on the AVS2 air horn base, then cut it off or find another base plate.

My notes show BOTH the Holley 4160/4360 series and the Carter AFB/AVS have nearly the SAME height from flange to air horn. I'm guessing your "Performer" carb is also nearly the same height in this area.
Carter Holley Comparison.png

But, differing areas on these two families of carbs protrude upward through the air cleaner.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back