• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle length SG vs. Open

Hilljack68

Local time
10:57 PM
Reaction score
On an 8 3/4 rear end, are the axle lengths the same for a Sure Grip vs. an open diff?

I had a problem with cone sure-grip on my 66. axles were 1/4 to 3/8 inch to long. Wife called for lunch missed the to long. Never late for a meal.

Last edited:
1964 and older tapered axles are different length. Sure grip axles the same, open axle shaft longer by 1/8" per side, 1/4" total. So you cannot swap a 1964 and older open third member into a 1965 and newer rear axle.

Last edited:
1964 and older tapered axle is different. Sure grip same, open is shorter 1/4" per side. So you cannot swap a 1964 and older open third member into a 1965 and newer rear axle.

I thought 1964 and older the open diff axle is longer.

Made changes to post #4 correct now.
In post #4 I put a cone SG in my 66 open 8.75 and axles were to long as mentioned, why? There is no doubt that it is a 66 rear. It is not the adjuster. I pulled a power lock SG from another rear went right in and adjusted side play no problem.

All 8 3/4 sure grips have the same length thrust spacer from the factory , same length as 65 and up open. My guess is misalignment between side gear and cone splines in your cone type SG.
Made changes to post #4 correct now.
In post #4 I put a cone SG in my 66 open 8.75 and axles were to long as mentioned, why? There is no doubt that it is a 66 rear. It is not the adjuster. I pulled a power lock SG from another rear went right in and adjusted side play no problem.

Whether it's a Sure Grip or an open diff, are the shafts the same (between left and right)?.... on a 1973/74

Auto Transport Service
Back