• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad A/C compressor clutch

dostroupe

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
So, I just bought a 71 Charger S/E. It's a factory 383 2BBL car. The A/C compressor clutch had locked up on it and burned up the belts which were also connected to the alternator. What will be the quickest/easiest way to eliminate the A/C compressor temporarily? I have a 78 440 from a truck that never had A/C but just looking at it, it looks like I would have to change everything to switch it over to the 383.

Last edited:
Buy a new clutch and install it would be cheaper and faster and you could have AC. Otherwise remove everything, you may need pulleys and you’ll have to figure out the belts... most guys want the ac. The truck 440 will need a water pump housing, possible pulleys , oil pan and pick up, manifolds possible and ? I’m sure there is some I’m missing. Swap a 4 bbl intake and carb and hp exhaust manifolds would be quick easy but it depends on what you want to do.

I'm not worried about having ac just yet. I'm trying to get a quick and easy fix for charging/alternator. I can't drive it far.

I have seen cars with an idler pulley mounted instead of a compressor.

After removing the compressor and hardware measure the pulleys, alternator,water pump and crank with a length of rope,paracord,etc for the length of the belt. OR cut the existing belt to find length.Using the prefix of the a/c belt first 2 numbers then add the number to the rope length. Such as a #15445 for example. The 445 meaning 44 and 1/2 inch.
This should get you in the ball park for belts. You may have to go up or down a inch or less.
If you are lucky the neighborhood auto parts store will give you several to choose and allow you to bring back the ones not used.

Last edited:
Had the same problem back when I was running my '66 Imperial as my company car. Company mechanic replaced seized bearing in the clutch assembly, free wheeled fine when reassembled. I can't remember any tricks to reassembly, but the repair took less time than removing the compressor would have.

The alternator isn't in line with anything but the compressor and crank pulley. So, I just can't measure for a belt. I'll take the clutch off and investigate, I know there is a bearing in there somewhere.

So, I just bought a 71 Charger S/E. It's a factory 383 2BBL car. The A/C compressor clutch had locked up on it and burned up the belts which were also connected to the alternator. What will be the quickest/easiest way to eliminate the A/C compressor temporarily? I have a 78 440 from a truck that never had A/C but just looking at it, it looks like I would have to change everything to switch it over to the 383.
It's quite likely that the compressor has failed. The magnetic clutch engages the belt drive to the compressor's crankshaft . The clutch bearing is a double row ball bearing mounted on the comprssor and free wheels when the magnetic clutch is NOT ENERGISED. Sounds like you need to replace the comprssor and dryer, flush the system and recharge with R134A and polyol oil....change all the O-rings to the green ones.......just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back