• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad, but not too bad

jimt1971rr

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
So while driving the road runner today, it died and wouldn’t restart. Some kind people helped me push it to a nearby parking lot. Jumped from their car and the carb caught on fire. Had flames coming out of top about two feet high. Fortunately, someone came with a fire extinguisher and I was able to put it out. Caused a spot of paint discoloration and bubbling on the hood, the air cleaner lid was off. Also, looks like it might have slightly damaged an ignition wire.

I’ve wanting to replace the carburetor for a bit now so now it’s a must.

I am very grateful to everyone who assisted me today, including the AAA tow truck driver.

IMG_0210.jpeg

Glad to see you guys got it extinguished without a lot of damage. Nice to see there are still good Samaritans out there. Good luck with your repairs. Lose the TQ. When they are working right, they are great. When they are not, they are junk. I had one fail, and started dumping fuel everywhere. It is a wonder my car did not catch on fire. With enough heat, that phenolic carb body can warp, and then, all hell can happen. I suspect your carb flooded itself out, and an errant spark ignited it.

I was really lucky and blessed! I am sure the carb had way to much fuel which is why I have been looking at replacing it. As far as the paint, the car is in need of a repaint already due to it having sat outside for about 5 yrs. It was covered but it still suffered.

Happy to read it came out alright. It could have been devastating! Take care!

Glad it turned out semi-ok.

I also had a Thermoquad go crazy on my 440 Rallye Charger. The car stopped running on the freeway - I pulled over and popped the hood and there was fuel pouring out the top of the carb. Luckily it did not catch fire. Because of that incident 30 years ago I carry a fire extinguisher in every classic car.

Sorry to hear about the damage to the Road Runner,a fire extinguisher is a must in every classic car.

Had that happen to me when I was younger. Scary for sure. Glad your ok and the car. The Big Man was watching over you. :thumbsup:

I bought a 73 Charger 400 from a friend of mine,and he said the carb has a little drip,so when I started it up the first time,apparently it was more than the little drip! It filled the valley pan dripped down the back of the transmission and burst into a full blown inferno! The car was on fire from the engine bay and underneath,all the way to the rear wheels! I shut it off and ran for the garden hose and managed to put it out after a few very intense moments. I came very close to losing that car. The only damage was some singed wires where the oil sending unit was.

Auto Transport Service
Back