• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ball joint issue.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
OK trying to change balljoints on a 69 GTX the 1 59/64 is too small. The larger one is way to big. The 1 7/8 would be smaller than the 1 59/64 I cant find the correct socket for this oddball ball joint. I took the same socket. 1 59/64 and it went right on the bells balljoint. Is ther another weird size that I dont know about?

• A-body - 1.809"
    • 1960-72 A bodies
  • B-body - 1 7/8"
    • Strangly enough there are also 1 59/64" sockets, which should fit the same ball joint?! My ball joint is a Moog K772 and the 1 7/8" fits like a glove... TOO SMALL
    • 73 and up A-body
    • 63-78 B-body
    • 70-74 E-body
  • C-body - 2 1/8" WAY TOO BIG
    • Strangly enough there are also 2 9/64" sockets, which should fit the same ball joint?!

I picked up 2 Herbrand #s 2430 the big one and the 2429 for most of the stuff We work on. They are a 4 side socket that fit the upper B joints like a glove. Snap-on and others used to make them dont know about now?? $10 each have yet to use then but Ya cant have to many tools.

I'll bet a 24" pipe wrench with a cheater will get the old one out.
Mike

The odd thing is.. Neither of the 2 popular sizes fit the balljoint. So Im really not sure what will fit it. 1 59/64 is too small and the other one is too big by a long shot.
I used the 59/64 on the roadrunner with no problem. Well except my deaf neighbor was right behind me while braking it loose. The socket slipped off and i fell back into him and rear headbutted him in the face and laid him out on the ground.

Last edited:
beerestoration2015 511.JPG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now that's what I call a snipe!
Better be careful with a cheater that long. My 3/4 ratchet exploded on day when I was "rowing the boat" tightening up a set of u-bolts on our Frehaugh trailer one day. Almost broke my buddies hand when it exploded. Well he said it hurt like hell anyway lol

Funny how the pipe that goes between the dolly legs is just the right size for the handle of a 3/4 ratchet.

Careful with forcing the ball joint out that is threaded and using a cheater isn't necessarily a good thing as that much friction may destroy the shallow threads that are on the a-arm, ask me how I know! I would suggest using a bit of heat on the a-arm to expand it and remove the ball joint easier once you get the correct socket.

Auto Transport Service
Back