• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ball Stud Hemi

Does anyone know what happened to the DOHC Hemi? Talked to a guy who said he own one, back in the early 80's. Bought a beat up and broken 66 426 hood ornament from him. Believe I saw his name in a magazine article, don't ask how I got a phone number. He was living in Nebraska or Kansas area.

Does anyone know what happened to the DOHC Hemi? Talked to a guy who said he own one, back in the early 80's. Bought a beat up and broken 66 426 hood ornament from him. Believe I saw his name in a magazine article, don't ask how I got a phone number. He was living in Nebraska or Kansas area.
That was an old Mopar Muscle article.....

Last I recall they made two and they never ended up in an actual car.....Then were destroyed....

They got worried when Ford came out with the 427 SOHC version....Then NASCAR shot the Ford motor down and that is why Chrysler stopped with the Hemi DOHC.....

They had a complete Ball Stud engine on display at the WPC Museum years ago. It was on loan from somebody well known, could have been Larry Shepard also. I think maybe that they ended up putting it in a '67-'69 Cuda that maybe Tom Hoover owned ????

426_Hemi_DOHC_11187075887.jpg

I know that the DOHC engine never ran on it's own, but did the ball stud Hemi actually run?

I believe arruzza pieced one together & put it in tom hoovers old cuda

It definitely ran. They put it on the track at least a few times.

Thats good info.....I never knew that they ran one in a car.......

@odcics2 Greg can you weigh in any of your race history knowledge on this?

Landy Industries had one of the ball stud Hemis you see in many photos.

I saw one of the DOHC Hemi's in Kansas City in the mid 80s. It eas very cool.

I saw one of the DOHC Hemi's in Kansas City in the mid 80s. It eas very cool.
To the best of knowledge its still there and will be as long as the present owner is alive. After that who knows. I do know Chrysler would like to have it back.

They had a complete Ball Stud engine on display at the WPC Museum years ago. It was on loan from somebody well known, could have been Larry Shepard also. I think maybe that they ended up putting it in a '67-'69 Cuda that maybe Tom Hoover owned ????
yes sir i remember seeing that at the museum also

To the best of knowledge its still there and will be as long as the present owner is alive. After that who knows. I do know Chrysler would like to have it back.
Wonder if it's same guy I talked to in the 80's.

I had three but scrapped them. I was tired of dealing with "Low Ballers" on craig'slist.

Thats good info.....I never knew that they ran one in a car.......

@odcics2 Greg can you weigh in any of your race history knowledge on this?

DOHC was a valve train experiment. Never a running engine, from what I remember the guys in the HP Motor room saying.
Ball stud was supposed to be a cheaper version, and try to meet early emissions, too, for post 1971. The muscle car market, in general, tanked after 71.
Cars like the Charger turned into "SE" and did well, especially in 73.

I remember reading that they ran the DOHC, not under its own power, but by spinning it up with another motor & that something on the heads (or cam drive train) kept breaking.

Auto Transport Service
Back