• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belt Squeal High RPM

Shed Hermit

Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
Hello every one, I have a belt squeal at high RPM on my Satellite 318, which we have just rebuilt to around 400 HP.
Since fuel injecting her we had to change the alternator to a custom higher output one. And in doing so we had to change belt configuration. The alternator now goes directly to the crank pulley. The waterpump and power steering and crank pulleys are the other belt. Noticed p/s pulley is a larger V than the crank pulley. Tried different width belts but still noisey at high rpm. Have cleaned pulleys with sandpaper in the grooves but still there. It has an electric fan installed on radiator.
Any ideas? this is driving me nuts.

Originally, the power steering pump was driven off the rearmost groove of the crank pulley. Both this groove and the PS pump pulley groove are wider than water pump, alternator, and front crank grooves. If you are using the narrower belt meant to drive water pump and alternator to also drive your PS, it will slip and squeal. The narrow V-belt will sit too deep in the wider PS pulley and will try to drive it with the tip of the "V" instead of the flanks of the belt, causing it to slip and squeal.

After a quick session of making the belt squeal, quickly pull over, shut off the engine and open the hood. Gingerly touch each pulley, the pulley that is extremely hot will be the one that is slipping.

If the new belt configuration does not have enough 'coverage' in the pulley then the belt will slip.

Also, use a solid belt, not segmented.

400 hp out of a 318 is impressive.
Naturally aspirated?

Auto Transport Service
Back