• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to clean trim

roadrunnerman

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Whoever did this before I owned the car used WAY!!!!!!!!!!! to much goop to seal the window. What is the best way to clean it off without hurting the stainless trim? Want to get them clean so I can get everything to line up right when I put the window corners on.

Attachments

• SDC10565.jpg
    SDC10565.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 205
  • SDC10566.jpg
    SDC10566.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 202
  • SDC10567.jpg
    SDC10567.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 217
fine steel wool is what i was always told but I'd use a solvent first to get the goop off.. by the way.. she just arrived... its a beauty!

I just finished cleaning up a bunch of my stainless trim for my 70 RR. I used some "Goof Off" to get the gunk and some paint off of the back of them, then I used fine steel wool as 99ss was saying above. It worked out pretty well. I also used a polishing wheel to polish up the stainless. On the back of some of the pieces that were rusted and not the part that was polished and showed on the car, I used a Dremel with a fine sanding wheel to get the rust cleaned up. The Dremel has become one of my favorite tools in this restoration.

I just did this same thing. I used aircraft paint stripper and steal wool. It takes it off pretty quick and it wont hurt the stainless. When its clean you want to wash it good with soap and water to make sure all the stripper is off. Then you can polish away.

Good luck it really is pretty easy

Thanks guys. Don't have the goof off but I have the stripper. Will try that and see how that works.

Soak it in Acetone, then use a WOODEN scraper like a tongue depressor....it will come right off, but wear gloves (chemical resistant) and make sure you have plenty of fresh air!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back