• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BFG Radial TA tire pressure

Houle #382

Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
I have decided to go to the track for the last test and tune just to see what the car will do. They run 1/8 mile at the local track. I'm running BFG Radial TA's 275/60/15" on 15X10 rims. What's a good tire pressure to start out with. 68 Coronet RT mild built 440 4 speed Dana 60 w 3:54's.

440 4 speed and radial TA? LOL doesn't matter!
It will blow them off on the 2 bbl. Your gonna have to feather it and granny shift or it's just a smoke show.

I'd run em around 25 lbs. Lowering the pressure will NOT help. It will be a real challenge to get off the line with a stick and those tires.

My experienced guess is..... your 60 ft will be poor, your E.T. will be disappointing. Your finish line mph will tell you more about how much power you have.
I don't mean to be a downer, Go, and have fun. Just know that a stick, lots of torque, and marginal street tires are not a happy dragstrip combination.
(My own car runs 11s on slicks, mid 13s on street tires, and I've got a 727)

Last edited:
I found a better idea for burning the rubber on BFG T/A radials.......

:lol:

I ran BFGs for a lot of years, and agree that your 60’ will not be good. MPH will tell the store.

I never changed tire pressure. If you do, it will likely change the contact patch area, making traction worse. I put my tires at 26 psi and left them there for all driving/racing conditions.

IMG_0911.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to love effortlessly spinning some big 60 series BFG radials on my TA Firebird back in the 70s. They would just spin and spin and spin . . .

And, FWIW, my car was running high 12’s w/ 2.0 sec. 60’ times with the P235 70 BFG in the picture above w/ 3.23 gears. But that was with an automatic.

Find a spot where you can launch hard enough to see the patch your laying. If the pattern is light in the middle add air, if it’s heavy let some air out. When the pattern is even all the way across that’s your starting point.

BFG Radial T/A unless they are DOT 'drag radials' or something
Not intended as a track/drag race tire...
a lil' lower pressure won't hurt, maybe even get a better contact patch
but too low (like 10#s too low) it will handle like **** at speeds
dangerous braking too

I guess maybe I should clarify my post.
I said I'd run 25 lbs and that running lower wouldn't help. What I MEANT, was
lowering the pressure in a stiff sidewall street radial will not have the same effect that lowering pressure has with a bias slick or bias ET street tire.
Play with tire pressure if you want. But race drag radials typically run at the high teens/low twenties, and I sure would not go below that with T/A's.

Auto Transport Service
Back