• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Dipstick

A70Runner

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
What’s the trick to getting the dipstick tube into the block Getting ready to put my engine back into my car. Bought a pro form dipstick because my old one was mangled. But I can get it to go into the hole.

Big Block, Milodon deep pan if it means anything.

Pan means nothing as the tube goes in the block? Are you able to get it started into the hole?

Some will put a box end/open end wrench over the raised rib and tap on the wrench with a hammer. This is right near the end that fits into the block.

Last edited:
Some will put a box end wrench over the raised rib and tap on the wrench with a hammer. This is right near the end that fits into the block.
I tried the open end side. Box end won’t fit over the tab that goes on engine mount.

Yes it goes through the block. It barely starts in the hole.
As said if there is chrome it most likely will have to come off. Might be better to pull the mount. I put a light coat of RTV on the end and then put a bolt in the tube and lightly tap it in place. If its bent wrong it will not easily fit in place.

Grinder is a good idea. Bevel it so it can get started in the hole. I smack the top of mine, but that does flatten the end a bit

I clamped mine in a flaring tool to hold it in place with one hand while hammering it into place with the other hand...

I was going to say a pair of vice grips clamped to it right above the rib that locates it and hit them with a hammer. The flaring tool sounds better as it will clamp all the way around.

They're not quite press fit, but they are interference/friction fit. If it starts in the hole, then the open end of a wrench and patient gentle tapping until it goes in. It needs to be snug so no seeping oil.

I just did this last night, I used the Mr Gasket Dipstick/tube MRG-6924 fit perfect with some RTV, shoved in by hand and a couple taps with a screwdriver to seat it. The mount tab lined up with the top motor mount bolt too, which surprised me. Mine is a 6 qt hemi pan.

Unless this is a fancy #s matching job that calls for a factory steel dipstick with the proper paint overspray, get yourself this one:

Mr. Gasket 6924 Mr. Gasket Engine Oil Dipsticks and Tubes | Summit Racing

I've used several, and they've always tapped right in. May require a little tweak to fit the bracket to the engine mount boss but that's cake. I smear a nice thin film of sealer on the end, stab it, bolt it and go....no leaks or problems ever.

Edit** awww damm RJ already posted about it haha...I try to read every post but somehow I missed the last one LOL

Ok I used MAC Tools wire puller needle nose pliers and I hammer and it went right in. Thank you all!

IMG_7536.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back