• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block paper gasket install

RemCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
At least this is the way I do them.
20220628_140839.jpg
20220628_184317.jpg
20220628_184345.jpg

Done!

I can't remember the thickness of each paper gasket but depending on block decking, heads being milled etc, sometimes you need those paper ones. I had machine my intake manifold just a bit and use both paper gaskets to get a proper seal w my RPM intake

I always use the thin paper on both sides of the bathtub and have never had a leak.
I glue them to the tub and smear a thin layer of grease where they seat on intake & heads, so they pull away nicely.
Some guys think it's overkill, and some guys chase oil or vacuum leaks...

I didn't use the paper gaskets on the last one I installed. In a couple months I noticed a stain starting under the manifold on the valley pan. Sprayed parts cleaner under there and the idle would change. So there was a small leak. Installed just one gasket between the manifold and valley pan and all was good. Went back over the carbs and they came in a little better too.

They put those paper gaskets in with the pan just in case you might need them. We're working with 50 year old parts here ya know.

Three BIG Tim Horton's coffees and it's GO TIME??

:lol:
Haha yup! Go to the can , that is...:wetting:

I could see the need for them in a real messed up situation. But even on my 67 383 with the heads milled .060, but intake surfaces corrected, worked great with the standard bare tub installation . Built 20 years ago.
A lot of the point I was making was how f#&cked up those gaskets got. The sniper was covering up how bad the vacuum leaks were, so I'm intrigued to see how much better it runs sealed up, and with a single plane now

Nick of YouTube Nick's Garage says you must use at least 1 paper gasket whenever a aluminum intake is used. Edlebrock instructions is a paper gasket glued to the valley pan on the head side.
I chased a intermittent back fire, rough idle, and occasional oil in the valley pan issue for several months. After seeing a Nicks garage episode about paper gaskets and aluminum intakes I decided to try it. Followed Edlebrock instructions.
No oil in the valley pan, backfires solved, and car had never run better. Used gasket shellac per Felpro instructions to glue gasket to valley pan.

20220109_115654.jpg

20220109_163949.jpg

I always use the paper gaskets on both sides with aftermarket intakes.

Mopar started using them when they had issue with the aluminum 6 Pack
intake leaking in 1969 as I recall.

Auto Transport Service
Back