• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block v belt

dbeeeer

Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for the proper fan belt for a Mopar 440 single pulley v belt, All I've seen are 13/32" wide, which rides outside the top of the fan and alternator pulley. I measure 3/8 inch, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug

That is only 1/32nd" difference. I think I bought mine at O'reillys and they work great. I am unsure if they are outside the top of the pulley, but dont think they are.

Go on RockAuto, and look up the application for your car/motor.

Gates uses 3/8, 7/16 or 1/2". Dayco runs in 32nds. 13/32, 15/32 etc. If you have a 3/8" piece of rope handy, you can easily use that to get the length you need. Wrap it in the grooves of your pullies and get your length dimension. Have the alternator, p/s pump etc in about the middle of its adjustment on the bracket when doing this. Gates number system goes by width of belt then length. Example: 7450 belt is 3/8" wide by 45" long. 8450 is 7/16" wide by 45" long. 9450 is 1/2" wide by 45" long. This will help you if your car has been a mix and match over the years which will give you issues on matchup with listings.

I use the 7450 size on both my big blocks. I would recommend staying away from Gates however. I, as well as others, have had issues with their new belts slipping. They must have changed the material compound when the company moved overseas, and are now junk imo.

In the early 90's when I was working at a NAPA store, Gates made all the rubber stuff for NAPA, they went from the solid, reinforced top and bottom belt to the toothed belt only reinforced on the top. They were notorious for shedding rubber and you could see the rubber powder trail on the hood, fender wells etc. NAPA kept the old series, solid but as their Silverline[ less expensive] belt. The auto shop next door clued me in on the issue with shedding which is why they only wanted the old series belt. I would imagine Gates has not improved on design. If you look for Continental, Bando and some other brands you may be able to score better quality belts. Or get lucky and get old inventory Gates solids.

Auto Transport Service
Back