• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bolt Stretch Gauge

TetanusShot

Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
I'd like to get a bolt stretch gauge for torquing the rod bolts on my engine build. Since the side skirts come down so far on big blocks and hemis i'm worried there won't be enough room to fit the tool down in the crankcase. What brand and/or part number have you guys used that fits?

Woops! forgot to mention, no china.

Last edited:
I used ARP's gauge with ARP's bolts. They're the only people I'd trust for my 512 stroker build. You could buy other's but would you really trust them as much.

TetanusShot... I'm guessing when you buy this it will probably be a one time use. Save yourself the money. I called ARP and talked to a tech when doing my build and I also borrowed one from the guy that did my machine work. ARP said that 50 ft/lbs will give the bolt the stretch that it needs. I had my doubts so I asked my machinist if he knew what one was. Told him my situation, handed me his stretch gauge and said 50 ft/lbs. Got home and torqued to 50 ft/lbs... dead on!

Is there a video of the process? Found one. Now how would this be done accurately with a dial indicator without the special bracket?

TetanusShot... I'm guessing when you buy this it will probably be a one time use.
If that were the case, I wouldn't have asked the question. It would get used at least twice by me, twice more by my brother, once by a cousin, and maybe again by another brother. On top of that, who knows how many more builds we will have down the road.
Its the only way to accurately gauge the clamping force, worth it to invest in a good one.

Auto Transport Service
Back