• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a air compressor, have questions....

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I bought a Brunner air compressor yesterday and hooked it up 220v today. It runs great and is real quiet, I had a conversation standing next to it while it was running and neither of us had to raise our voices. The thing is, I cant find any info on it. it has a Brunner plate on the tank side and that's it. No other tags, numbers, stampings or castings anywhere. The pressure gauge at the air out end goes to 300 psi and looks like it's from the 40's or 30's. Two stage compressor, all cast iron. 5 hp Dayton motor. It needs a pressure switch diaphragm though. What I want to know is how much this thing will hold for pressure? Can I replace that original pressure switch with a new one that has the same number of outlet/inlets? How many gallons is the tank? 60...80? How old is it?

Thanks, see the attached pic. IMG_0974.jpg

Hiya, Ghostrider 67...

Fairly hard to find much on Brunner compressors. Stopped making them in the 50s(?), or something like that.

I, too, have an old Brunner. Mine's an upright. Heavy as hell. I've got my pressure switch set at 150 pounds...probably about max where you should have yours. You should be able to replace the pressure switch, just find one with the right range on it.

yes, 12-2 with ground on a 20 amp double pull breaker. What? Is that too small? Should I use 10-2 w/ ground? Also, I discovered that the pressure switch diaphragm has a hole in it and has gunk built up under it too. I used the wire cup brush to clean that off but need some natural rubber sheet to make a ne one. I just finally located a sheet of 1/16 th rubber ( 1.5mm) for 6.00 bucks at Grainger supply. Thanks for the link chooch!

you might want to talk to a electrician but I think 12-2 might be a little bit to light of a wire, I ran 10-2 on mine with a sub panel disconnect at the compressor since it has no on / off switch but I also had to run 20ft of wire my thought being the long run time the compressor might have if your using it a lot. I personally wouldn't even play around with the psi switch & buy a new one if you can since there pretty cheap it's not worth the chance of it not working..

I agree, I just got off of the phone with Brian at Kruman and he suggested the same. He told me that Brunner only made the compressor and the tank. All other fittings etc are generic so I can get a new switch from Grainger and put it on. The compressor has two relief valves and the tank two as well. I watched a video of a electrician wiring up a 5 HP 60 gallon 2 stage compressor and he recommended 12/2 w/ ground. I will ask around though. Thanks for the input.

If it need 30 amp breaker you need 10-2 20 amp 12-2 unless the wire run is long then you need to upsize wire

It is usually 100 feet to be long
what is the amperage listed on the motor
it is the key item

it is 21.0 amps. I have it on a double pull 20 amp square d breaker. This breaker box is on a wall in the hall to my garage which is separate from the house but the box has no main that I can cut off because the power comes from the big box in my homes basement, I have to cut it off from there.

Got the 12x12 inch sheet of natural rubber today and cut a new diaphragm out of it. It works fine. Cuts out at 145psi and back in at 95psi. I'm going to play around with adjusting it. But all is well.

Pressure sounds good to me. Is there a label or tag on the tank itself, telling max psi? Either way, your 145 psi will do any thing you want it to do.

Heck, your deal probably gets pressure faster than my old Brunner, that takes around 15-20 minutes! But, the old gal's been around the block.

THERE IS NO WAY I would use that TANK without HYDRO testing which you can easily do YOURSELF

Pull the tank / compressor apart, and plug all fittings except one "at the top." It is best to prop up the tank to form "the least" cavity at your top test fitting.

Fill it completely with water. Get all air out clear to the top of your fitting. Position the tank carefully so this happens.

Then simply get "whatever" fittings you need and a pressure source that is NOT oxygen or flammable. I just use CO2. "Rig" the pressure source to the tank and pressure it up to at least 2X your operating pressure.

Some guys have even used grease guns, etc for a pressure source

Not a believer? Google it

compressor-tank-exploded-on-craftsman-devilbiss-compressor-21717021.jpg

compressor-tank-exploded-on-craftsman-devilbiss-compressor-21717022.jpg

exploded%20air%20compressor%20-%20note%20the%20extensive%20corrosion.jpg

takes about 9 minutes.
Pressure sounds good to me. Is there a label or tag on the tank itself, telling max psi? Either way, your 145 psi will do any thing you want it to do.

Heck, your deal probably gets pressure faster than my old Brunner, that takes around 15-20 minutes! But, the old gal's been around the block.

- - - Updated - - -

hmmm... ok..i will. Thanks.
THERE IS NO WAY I would use that TANK without HYDRO testing which you can easily do YOURSELF

Pull the tank / compressor apart, and plug all fittings except one "at the top." It is best to prop up the tank to form "the least" cavity at your top test fitting.

Fill it completely with water. Get all air out clear to the top of your fitting. Position the tank carefully so this happens.

Then simply get "whatever" fittings you need and a pressure source that is NOT oxygen or flammable. I just use CO2. "Rig" the pressure source to the tank and pressure it up to at least 2X your operating pressure.

Some guys have even used grease guns, etc for a pressure source

Not a believer? Google it

compressor-tank-exploded-on-craftsman-devilbiss-compressor-21717021.jpg

compressor-tank-exploded-on-craftsman-devilbiss-compressor-21717022.jpg

exploded%20air%20compressor%20-%20note%20the%20extensive%20corrosion.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back