• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake pedal conundrum

cinciaz

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
So I haven't been on for a while. Have been muddling through my resoration with some success. I cant seem to figure out why my brake pedal will not come back up by itself. Even with grabbing the pedal with my hand and pushing it up, it struggles to come up. I had the master cylinder on and the spring in the master was not strong enough to force the pedal up. I think the new old stock booster is binding. Has any body out there ran into this problem. Any feed back would be appreciated. Linkage for pedal is not binding was installed correctly per factory service manual... 1971 Charger SE, 383 magnum, 4 speed. The car did not come with power disc brakes, but the conversion was done with new pedal bracket for power brakes.

IMG_8723.JPGIMG_8725.JPGIMG_8729.JPGIMG_8730.JPG

Last edited:
Booster is bad. It is not the job of the master cylinder to return the booster.

Have you tried putting a hose from the check valve on the booster to the intake so it pulls vacuum?

yes, I have put vacuum to the booster still no change in pedal

You should probably disassemble all the pedal linkage and double check that nothing can bind... The pivot with a nut and bolt needs a tube inside so it can't collapse the pedal hanger bracket.. The other pivot has a shaft that floats in the hanger bracket at one end and the nut clamps the shaft... Also the booster and dogbone should have internal bushings that prevent the link bracket collapsing and clamping on either end..

Your Cardone booster is a rebuilt OE unit but I've had issues with Cardone boosters in the past.... Booster Dewey has a very good rep...

OK, thank you I will call them tomorrow. I will check the linkage again. But I did put it all together per the FSM...thanks everybody for all the help

OK, thank you I will call them tomorrow. I will check the linkage again. But I did put it all together per the FSM...thanks everybody for all the help
On the linkage there are a lot of details the manual really doesn't touch on... Just pay close attention to each pivot..

Would think that even a reman Cardone booster would have some sort of warranty if you just bought it..

even if it had a warranty cardone does not make that part number any more

Will they rebuild an aftermarket,,,It is a Cardone
I would think a place like O’rielys could send in for you. They sent one in for me. Might be other places that’ll rebuild it thou on a google search

Auto Transport Service
Back