• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake pedal too low after manual drum to power disc conversion

G_Money

Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Just did a Pirate Jack 4-wheel power disc conversion on my ‘66 Belvedere. Installed the booster and brake pedal linkage and the brake pedal is too low and doesn’t engage with brake light switch. My buddy thinks we need to cut and extend the brake pedal connecting rod, but it doesn’t make sense to me that the parts in the kit wouldn’t be the correct length. Here’s a picture…

Thanks for any ideas!
Greg
IMG_3239.jpeg

The brake light switch is adjustable but Maybe you're just outside of the range?
I'm not sure why that is possible but I've dealt with this before. My idea was to cut the pushrod, spread the two halves apart and weld in a section in between. My plan was to get the pedal sitting where I wanted it and take a measurement.
Instead, a FBBO member had a better idea:
BOO 44.JPG

BOO 45.jpg

The man took this in his lathe and put male threads on one side and female on the other.

BOO 49 C.JPG

This meant taking two to make one.

BOO 48.JPG

I ended up extending the rod about 5/16" so I bridged the difference with washers. I used Red Locktite too.

BOO 57.JPG

The same could still be done by cutting and welding. I have a manual transmission and I wanted the pedals to be at the same height. If I had an automatic, I may have just left the whole thing alone since even with the shorter rod, there was still adequate travel from the pedal.

I believe the power disc cars had a physically lower pedal height than a manual drum brake car would have needed.
I extended the rod as Kern Dog has shown on my cars by cutting and welding in a piece of metal.
I like the pedal being that bit higher and I think the brakes actually worked a little better.

Odd, I just did a power drum to power disc conversion on a 66 Coronet and had no problems with the switch hitting the linkage

The rod that actually goes into the cup in the MC bore should be adjustable.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would have thought that it should be a plug ‘n’ play part if it’s a replica of OEM. But maybe there are differences in either the booster rod or the manual brake pedal set up. Or maybe some cars are just different? It’s also hard to believe there’s not an adjustable part available. Looks like it’s gonna be a cut and weld project! Will post some pics when I’m done.

Thanks again!
Greg

My cars are both factory power disc brake cars and I always felt the pedal was physically too low.
The brakes always worked OK but I felt it went too close to the floor.
I extended the rod by 8 mm and raised the pedal on both cars. Feels good now and not hard to operate.
Make sure you clamp the pushrod to a steel plate to keep it in alignment and straight while welding.
PM me your email and I can send you a diagram of the modification if you want.

My cars are both factory power disc brake cars and I always felt the pedal was physically too low.
The brakes always worked OK but I felt it went too close to the floor.
I extended the rod by 8 mm and raised the pedal on both cars. Feels good now and not hard to operate.
Make sure you clamp the pushrod to a steel plate to keep it in alignment and straight while welding.
PM me your email and I can send you a diagram of the modification if you want.
before you extended the rod for your car, was it already touching the brake switch? Mine already contacts the switch, but I would prefer the pedal a bit higher.

@steve340. Thanks I’ll PM you my email.

Oh, Another question regarding my picture I posted above? Do I have the notch in the Z bracket facing the correct direction? The manual for the booster I bought shows it facing the direction I have it… but the FSM and TheRamManInc says it goes towards the booster. Could this make a difference?

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

Make sure there is no air in the system. This may not be apparent with manual brakes, but manifests as more pedal travel with boosted brakes because the booster is providing more 'push'.

I am not sure if that bracket would make a difference.
IMO if you go with the factory manual you are unlikely to be wrong.
I will email you my diagram.

I believe the power disc cars had a physically lower pedal height than a manual drum brake car would have needed.
I extended the rod as Kern Dog has shown on my cars by cutting and welding in a piece of metal.
I like the pedal being that bit higher and I think the brakes actually worked a little better.
I would think possibly with the manual brakes the factory did this for more pedal leverage?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would have thought that it should be a plug ‘n’ play part if it’s a replica of OEM. But maybe there are differences in either the booster rod or the manual brake pedal set up. Or maybe some cars are just different? It’s also hard to believe there’s not an adjustable part available. Looks like it’s gonna be a cut and weld project! Will post some pics when I’m done.

Thanks again!
Greg
I’ve heard there are longer push rods available out there in A/M available for purchase

Auto Transport Service
Back