• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken wheel studs = end of the road for this axle shaft?

copperstate68

Local time
6:29 PM
Reaction score
I made a rookie mistake and managed to break 2 wheel studs off on one corner. This almost certainly happened because the the combination of new wheels and lug nuts I had just put on had been loosening themselves up and frankly I forgot to keep checking on them until I heard sounds while driving and got out and only had 2 lug nuts left on one wheel!

So anyways, I went to replace the broken wheel studs and was going to do all 5 while I was at it. First, I tried one of the ones that didn't break and it came right out with a few taps with a hammer with a wood block behind.

The two broken wheel studs I cannot get to come out. I've gone through a bunch of the threads here and elsewhere and gotten a lot of ideas, but so far haven't had any luck-
* hammer + wood block
* 5 lb hammer + wood block
* tie rod end removal tool to push it through
* clamp + socket on the back
* drilling through the stud
* grinding off the head of the stud trying to push it through the other way with a 5lb hammer with a center punch in the hole I drilled. This did budge it ever so slightly after a lot of pounding (see pics)

At this point I'm not sure if there is any hope of getting these out.. or if I do finally get them out if the splines will be destroyed. I have the axle shaft out of the car and am not opposed to taking it in somewhere that has a press and see if they can press it out if you guys think it's worth continuing to try to get the studs out.

If the studs won't come out nicely, I'll need to replace the axle shaft, is that correct?

FWIW, this is a 68 charger, 8 3/4" rear end

font.jpeg

back.jpeg

I think the stud heads are just seated very firmly into the axle shaft. They've been there for many years and are happy to stay!

You need some more oomph. Use a 20 ton shop press and I think they will come out fine.

Hammering on the axle in place can damage the tapered roller bearing. Remove the axle and press them out. The drill may have worked to remove the tension and weakened the fit but, the holes must be centered and opened up to the root diameter of the splines of the stud.
Mike

A press makes this process simple. Do you have any non big chain auto part stores in your area ? Many independent old school auto part stores still offer services. Many have hydraulic presses, turn brake drums ect...

Although likely not the case but looking at your pictures, it almost looked like these may be screw in type. I have no experience with the screw in type but this pic almost looked like they are thread into the flange.

1727443802536.png

I've never heard of vintage Mopar screw in studs.

Is that a repair part for wallowed out flange holes?

Although likely not the case but looking at your pictures, it almost looked like these may be screw in type. I have no experience with the screw in type but this pic almost looked like they are thread into the flange.

View attachment 1733109
If threaded in, they must have a hex head or hex key provision to tighten them with?

If threaded in, they must have a hex head or hex key provision to tighten them with?
yes they should but the only backside of the flange pictured is one head ground off.

@YY1 I was thinking a previous owner repair possibly. Ya never know (most of the time) what has happened over the last 50 years of a vehicles life when previous owners have had it. :)

Last edited:
Instead of grinding and drilling it would have been easier to just pull the axle. Take it to a shop or a buddy with a press as the new ones will need pressed in anyway.

Agree with others above. Pull the axle. Once it's out, hammer the broken studs out. If a hammer won't get it done, find a press.

Wow thanks everyone for all of the responses! I think I forgot to mention in my original post- the axle is out of the car already while I've been beating on the broken studs.

Sounds like hunting down a press will be my next step. :thumbsup:

With the axle out, you might not need a press. Do you have an old (quality, American made) C-clamp? Put the screw side on the wheel side of the stud, put a socket over the studs back side (to give the stud someplace to go) and clamp away.

Looks like you got this going.....hate to stir the hive, but i gotta throw my two cents in here.... do NOT put heat on the axle flange!! Those studs will press right out.

Auto Transport Service
Back