• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Butchered dash for radio repair?

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
Somewhere along the line my Dash was butchered to install a non factory radio in my 1973 Plymouth. I understand why it was done because when I was in my teens I did the same thing to two of my old plymouths. I did a much cleaner job. Does anyone know of a cover plate that would cover the butcher job around the radio that would allow me to put in a factory style radio with both knobs on the same side? I have a decent replacement but would like to use it on another car.
1718294333842296687864342582170.jpg
1718294615859401081688078866370.jpg
17182949690571926340947877157403.jpg

I am sure someone could fab up something but due to the contour and pseudo woodgrain would make it look great. Actually I think it would be better to cut out the radio area completely and cleanly and then make a new plate to fit into that cut out area (basically making it look intentional).

I am doing a pro tour resto on a 72 SSP. I have a couple cut dashes in my inventory and think I am going to use one of them to put a head unit in the dash where it is easy to reach, just like in the old days. 4 speaker system with sub in the trunk. The new aftermarket head units come with trim ring. The last time I did one in a cut dash I had to trim a little more to get it in. The trim ring covered it all. Just have to make some custom brackets to hold the head unit in place.

Last edited:
Haha, I used to work for Highland Appliance when I was like 16 17 years old, I sold car stereos and I also offered my installation, we hacked up a lot of **** back then to install the radio they wanted, these cars were nothing special at that time.

Looking at that hole

Looks like they cut the metal support bracket (Metal surround backing for all your gauges) for one of the holes also to support the radio

Looking at that hole

Looks like they cut the metal support bracket (Metal surround backing for all your gauges) for one of the holes also to support the radio
The metal frame in the back always got cut to put a single din radio in. It is what supports the radio when cutting in a single din unit.

I don't know of any cover plate off the shelf, but if you are going back to stock, replacement bezels or complete clusters are pretty easy to come by. All the the ones on eBay are way overpriced. You can find them local for much less.

Your car looks like it has a factory tachometer

Your decent replacement is a standard rallye dash

The metal support bracket or gauge housing is the same with a factory clock or tachometer

The standard rallye dash metal support bracket is different

I just sold an uncut bezel and clock metal bracket for $100.00 with lenses

No gauges

eBay look

Swap meets

That would bee my route for factory radio

The metal frame in the back always got cut to put a single din radio in. It is what supports the radio when cutting in a single din unit.
He said he wants to use a factory radio with both knobs on the same side

Hence my response

Yes this car has the tachometer but came with the factory satellite cluster. In 1984 the owner at the time used a totaled donor Roadrunner on the poor unexpecting and surprised satellite. They did a pretty damn good job putting it together. In the days of old when I did this I would cut between the two knobs on the left side to make room for the radio then use 2 inch Fender washers inside and outside of the dash on the right side held in place with extra tuning shaft nuts and then use the cover plate that came with the new stereo. It worked great at the time but not the look I'm going for today.

Is it just the bezel you need or the dash and bezel? Just asking because I don’t understand your question. Looks like you only need the bezel.
04426F3F-4665-4099-B8C8-871B8ED10FFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back