• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car dies for some reason

roadrunnerman

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
Have a 96 intrepid with a 3.3 engine. In the past and lately when coming up to a stop sign, the car will just shut off. Get it home and check fluids. Only thing I find is low on oil. I know the motor has a protection on it that if the oil is too low to get to the rest of the engine that it will shut it off to protect it. Is the oil pump going bad now or is it something else (idle sensor). If I put oil back up to full line the car does great till it gets low again. No leaks underneath and doesn't smoke. Possible problems:

weak oil pump
idle sensor
catalytic converter plugged
something else?

The car has run good from the day we bought it used. Several trips to MN for doctors appt's, wife took it to Georgia and back, back and forth to work (wife), errands around town, and countless trips to next town for shopping. Any ideas? I can take it to autozone, but I don't think it will bring up the code to solve problem.

I can't imagine there would be something that would suddenly shut the engine down if you are a quart low. Turn on a light yes, but shut the car down? That's crazy!

I bet you have a bad electrical connection somewhere. Check under the battery for a harness and see if there are corroded wires. I had a case where a wire was corroded on the inside but gave little evidence of that. There was a tiny hole in the insulation and when I opened it up it was full of green crap. Very sneaky!

is the check engine light on? being a 1996 or newer u can hook it up to a diagnostic tool and see whats wrong,, that's the fastest and best way to find the issue or at least eliminate what working

happened to my dads car before it was the crank sensor

there are literaly 50 reasons that your car could be doing that.as said above,has/is the eng light on?your oil light should come on long before your presure gets low enough to shut the car down.does the oil light come on before you start the car?(lust woundering if it is burnt out)

Auto Transport Service
Back