• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carbon fiber wrenches

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
What do you guy's think about this new product...
CarbonLite-Wrench-Tool-Set.jpg

CarbonLite Carbon Fiber Box Wrenches

I might think about it if my wrenches ever get to heavy.

I have zero interest. They're stupid in my opinion.

Why? I could care less about the weight of my wrench - that has never been an issue for me. What HAS been an issue is how thick the part of the wrench is that surrounds the nut/bolt. Lots of nuts/bolts are in tight locations and the thick shoulder on those would never work.

I have to agree with what was said towards the bottom of that article, he said.

To be frank, I see the coolness factor of these wrenches, but don’t really see the practicality. Only 10 inch and metric sizes are available, which is quite limiting, and I have doubts that these wrenches can meet – let alone exceed – industry strength standards.

I also don’t quite see the point of the tapered box ends, or as CarbonLite calls them, “the teeth.” It seems possible that the taper might be necessary to keep the stainless steel box end inserts fixed inside the tools. Having tapered box ends seems like a potentially risky idea to me, but since the box ends aren’t offset by an angle of any kind, there’s no reason other than convenience to have to use one side over the other.

I must give the folks at CarbonLite credit for their creativity, but these wrenches seem to have too many flaws. They’re expensive, they’re fragile, there aren’t many sizes, the 5 wrenches that are included in the set are all half inch and half metric sized, and there’s a risk of carbon fiber splinters if you don’t wear gloves while using the wrenches.

These wrenches would look great on my wall, but I don’t think I would want them in my tool box.

They look like they have a larger radiused end on them vs a regular boxed end which isn't good. These seem like a gimmick/fad type thing or maybe a gift idea for the man who already has everything. Nothing I would ever buy.

At $140.00 for a set, it seems kind of expensive. They also advise using gloves while using them so you don't get carbon fiber splinters.
Also, I agree that the ends are way too big to fit in tight places. The socket ends are made from heat treated stainless steel.

The ONLY possible advantage I see is the weight of the whole set is reduced, so if you're carrying them around in a toolbox or bag, that might be a plus. No need for them in a shop or on the workbench.

I see lots of commentary on the end thickness... I just went thru this and did something about it! I always had an issue with the fuel fittings on my Holley carb
IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1454.JPG
IMG_1467.JPG
IMG_1470.JPG
... box end don't fit, socket don't fit, open end don't grip properly... So I custom made a socket. Works great!

these will sell big with the morons that love to buy the special edition, engraved, gold plated, anniversary issue tools with the kung fu grips. ;-)

these will sell big with the morons that love to buy the special edition, engraved, gold plated, anniversary issue tools with the kung fu grips. ;-)
Woooo stop the presses... Nobody said it had Kung Fu grips. Where do I send my money?

I'd pay for sockets or wrenches that had carbon fiber contact surfaces.

That way you wouldn't scratch chrome and you'd be less likely to chip paint on our body color bolts.

If carbon fiber is so great, why are the sockets themselves made of metal?
Massive fail in concept and creation.

Agree.

You're paying a premium for carbon fiber handles?

Hey, those are some ground breaking tools there... metric and American on the same wrench. So, which side is the tit and which is the bull?

Another tool that will be advertised at Christmas time . Wife and kids will think " what a neat idea and he doesn't already have one" My tool-box is full of those things--un-used.....................................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back