• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carolina BBQ recipes

DeltaV

Endeavor to persevere
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
Maybe my FBBO Carolinian & Virginian neighbors can help me out. I am in need of Carolina BBQ recipes for pork and the sauce...which is vinegar based with crushed cayenne pepper, etc. There are different sauce styles of course, but the wife and I particularly like the style from eastern North Carolina and southern parts of Virginia. The style 60 miles south of Charlotte, North Carolina is very good, but has more tomato in the sauce? We haven't tried South Carolina style "Carolina BBQ" and folks around Savannah don't serve Carolina BBQ.

I'll hand-off your recipe suggestions to my wife and we will try them out...for personal pleasure, not monetary gain.

Otherwise, suggestions of restaurants (and hole in the wall places) to try are appreciated too.
:thankyou:

Here's my favorite, "home made" BBQ sauce recipe. It's not the style you requested, but it's definitely delicious!
20200321_093108.jpg

For the vinegar style you don’t need to over think it.

Majority is apple cider vinegar.
I’ll throw in some of the pork rub I put together, this has a bit of everything.
Add more to taste:
Crushed red pepper
Course black pepper
Little bit of actual BBQ sauce For color and body.
Wee bit of brown sugar

from there boil it for a couple minutes so the pepper release.

I’ll be doing St Louis style ribs tomorrow.

Carolina’s use mustard base sauce too. Both of these really only work well over pulled pork IMO.

SC is totally different than NC or WNC.

SC is mustard based.

NC and WNC differ in the amount of tomato base.
Neither has mustard.
Both are vinegar based.

I L O V E me some NC BBQ!!!!

My daughter in law used to run a Carolina style bbq joint in Suffolk, VA.
I don't much care for the sauce but the way to eat it is to put the pulled pork on a bun and then sour cole slaw on top.

Made the recipe posted by 440Coronet500 but tweaked it, added a 1/4 tsp of cayanne pepper and chili powder. And 2 shots of bourbon. It’s currently simmering and about to throw the marinated pork ribs on the grill.

BC390CC0-8DED-49A0-8F30-A38F6950ED31.jpeg

Burns69RT

There are a ton of bourbons out there, which one did you use?

No, no, no, no, no! @69L48Z21 had it closest. For Eastern NC bbq, the main recipe is...
244D11FD-946C-4724-BCDC-0DDC85678227.jpeg

And remember it’s a whole lot of vinegar and very little one everything else.

Best and closest Eastern NC sauce you can buy.
https://georgesbbqsauce.com/

It’s also really good when you put little tabasco peppers in the bottom and let them marinate in the vinegar.

Auto Transport Service
Back