• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter 4429 Whistling and Rich...Help!

Macdon221

Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
Good Day All,

Trying to set up a Carter 4429S on a newly redone 68 440 with just a mild street cam.

Moderately familiar with the AVS.

Background....

1. The ignition system is all good. New fresh distributor in, timing set at 15 degrees...idles smooth.
2. Fresh carb rebuild from woodruff. Carb never used before Excellent work!. I have also checked all the settings/measurements myself as per the FSM. All are good.
3. Stock 101 tall main jets. Stock 95 secondary jets. Stock metering rods.
4. Using a thick gasket.
5. Stock manifold intake
6. Vacuum advance port capped to eliminate a leak there.
7.Choke diaphragm capped at carb to rule out leak there.
8. Brake booster and headlight vacuum port capped to eliminate any vacuum leak there.

Here is my problem and symptoms....

1. Low Vacuum...around 11 inches. This is carb problem "I think"....previous carb was ok and on the dyno 14 inches.
2. Constant low whistling sound from the carb. And a little screech when the accelerator is pushed. I originally thought it was a belt....but no it is the carb. I tried to pinpoint it with a stethoscope and could not. Sprayed around gaskets outside...no change. If I put my hand right over top of the carb it muffles the sound. So I know its the carb.
3. I can't get the idle to go below 1000rpm. Throttle fully closed and pressure holding the throttle closed still wont idle down.
4. Mixture screws....they really make no difference....but when I screw them fully in while idling...the manifold vacuum begins to rise to around 12...So I am approaching a better mixture setting.....but I can't get it even lean enough to shut off or run too lean and become rough. Assuming because fuel is also entering from a different circuit because the idle still around 1050rpm. The mixture screw's are correct. I tried 2 different sets as well. When set at 2 turns out you can see them protruding in the bore. Should they?

The manifold is freshly painted....could this be the issue...not a true flat surface?

I have tried 2 or 3 different carb base gaskets as well...no real change. The sound changes in intensity with a gasket change...but does not get rid of the constant whistle and little screech on acceleration.

Any more ideas to help me out?

Thanks

Macdon221

Last edited:
You forgot to tell us the cam ur using. Really can’t believe Woodruff screwed up, possible I guess.

Did you call woodruff? That may be a good start.

Get it idling, take off the cover plates for the metering rods. Do they stay down or do the springs push them up?

i have carbs done woodruff before….they have all been excellent.

Yes its the proper gasket…I have tried a thin and a thick gasket. Will worry about dialling in the choke later.

Cam….I am missing the exact numbers.

Will check the springs for the metering rods next. See if they are light enough that the plungers stay down

[1] Cam may not be as mild as you think.......
[2] Is the screech coming from the carb?
[3] The symptoms could be caused by many things.
[4] Try this: loosen met rod piston cover screws 2 turns & swivel covers slightly so that pistons are visible...but contained. Run engine & put into gear if auto & idle. Pistons should be DOWN & stay down. If they are moving, vacuum is low. REport back.
[5] Have had a few engines over the years that had a whistle [ Haven't been able to get one to whistle Dixie yet....]
[5] Cam may have wiped lobes or installed retarded; both cause low vacuum.

Make sure your secondaries are fully closed at idle and that there is no interference or binding causing any hang up with that shaft.

Back in August on another thread from you

"Carter 4429S....On a 68 440 with stock intake manifold.

The carb was restored by one of the recommended carb rebuilders on this site. The carb works fantastic and looks great. Idles great and runs perfect though all ranges of power. No issue. I went through the service manual and have checked and measured all the tolerances and settings. They are all bang on."

Is this the same carb ? Here you mention it idles great and runs perfect so ?

You where talking about adjusting the choke

Did you mess with the choke and the fast idle cam

When the choke plate is fully open , is the fast idle cam releasing

On the whistling sound, I once experienced that with an Edelbrock carb on a factory 4-hole intake, when I used a 1 hole carb base gasket. I guess the gap at the manifold between the intake holes and carb base plate bores was just right to create a constant whistle. Replaced the gasket with a 4-hole one and it was fixed.

Bee1971....that was a different carb on different car. The fast idle cam is not in the picture in this issues. I have ensured it is off.

Turbine68RT....I will have a look at the secondary valves too see if fully closed.

Geoff2...I will have a look at the metering rods later today and report back.

eldubb440....yes PVC is connected and the valve is functioning as it should.

4speedRT...how can I check for an intake manifold to head leak?

Thanks again all

AR67GTX....very interesting....yes I am using a 1 hole gasket. I do have 4 hole ones in my collection I could try.

Any disadvantage of using a 4 hole gasket at all?

Auto Transport Service
Back