• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHALK THIS OUT

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:44 AM
Reaction score
This was in 1995 we had just moved into our newly built home.
As I remember it some what clearly.
While working on my 1964 Sport Fury "key word here SPORT "
I had nearly completed a total restoration including a fresh 383 As you may or may not know it is very simple to turn over a mopar from under the hood, with something as a Nickle.
I had just completed the installation of the new plugs cap and rotor and such. + a freshly built carb.
I got in the car and turned it over a few times and it started right up. However it was not running quite right. So I turned it off got out and made a few adjustments to the carb, got back in and turned the key and remembered I did not re connect the vacuum hose.
I hooked the hose back up and figured why not just start it from under the hood (stupid). so I crossed the solenoid and it started instantly on high idle.
Yep in gear and the neutral safety did not work.
Picture this I am under the hood with my feet straitening the left front tire the car lunged forward. I jump back the car runes up on my left foot. Now the car is CHALKED with my foot.
I stayed there because my foot was keeping the car from going through the front wall.
So I thought I really don't want to put my head back under the hood to disconnect something to get it to shut off for fear it would take off and take my head with it. So being the Mopar man I am.
I remembered that these cars came with PB shift and I could just reach in and put it into neutral. "NOT" REMEMBER the key word here was SPORT And I was just in it, duh!!!
All (most all) mopar guys and girls know that all Sport Furys for 1964 were console shift. You can correct me if you know differently.
Well being 5'10" The chance of me reaching the center console was not going to happen.
So I was running out of options. To make it worse this is our new house with a 3 car finished garage, directly in front of the car between the front bumper and the wall is a the extra fridge filled with adult beverage in bottles.
Nobody was around to call for help and I had the stereo up a little too loud. so even if there was anybody around they would not have heard me with the car noise and the stereo.

So I decided to lean back as far as I could make my foot flat as I could and let the car fly. SUCCESS? you can visualize the rest.
It crushed the refrig door pushed it into the wall and stopped the car.
The fins of the refrig were imprinted onto the white paint on the back wall.
You may be wondering about the damage to the car. There was none.
Apparently porcelain has no detrimental effect on Mopars. And of the utmost importance not a single bottle of beverage was broken.
Good thing this was early in the day so I had time to pound out the refrig and repaint the wall before you know who got home. She was at work.
She has told more than 100 times do NOT work on cars alone.
Lesson not learned I still do.

Ouch

Smiley Homer Doh !!.png

I just imagine Queen on the radio "don't stop me now" ''Cause I'm having a good time, having a good time''

The proper term is actually "Chock", not Chalk but I get your point.
I agree with Pete...We have all made mistakes.

I hooked the hose back up and figured why not just start it from under the hood (stupid). so I crossed the solenoid and it started instantly on high idle.
Yep in gear and the neutral safety did not work.

I know someone who took a ride on top of his engine through his the garage door, also due to the same.

1. Thanks for sharing your story. I guarantee everyone here who reads it instantly can picture
themselves in a similar plight while reading it, trust me.
2. Another positive to owning old cars with manual transmissions, methinks. :)
I'm glad car, house and owner all survived. :thumbsup:

The proper term is actually "Chock", not Chalk but I get your point.
I agree with Pete...We have all made mistakes.
The second I saw this I knew I made a mistake. Where was spell check?
Phenetics'
I stand corrected. My wife is a proof reader so if she would have read the post I would have had to correct it.

Need a YOUTUBE video. Can you re-construct the situation and record it this time?
:lol:
I'm not making this **** up. In the same garage at the other end bay, My 63 Max Wedge was damaged by a 6' fluorescent light housing that fell on it. We have since moved and left most of the gremlins there.

The second I saw this I knew I made a mistake. Where was spell check?
Phenetics'
I stand corrected. My wife is a proof reader so if she would have read the post I would have had to correct it.
*Phonetics
:lol:

Did something similar with a 47 Ford 2n tractor. Nearly pushed the furnace through the back wall. Luckily, it didn’t have much of a run so it stopped it. One time I was priming the engine after filling it with oil after a rebuild on a truck. Started the drill, looking at the gauge. Wondering what the heck, no oil pressure. My dad said, stop. He pointed to the floor. I forgot to put the filter on. We laughed our butts off.

I had a similar situation with my ‘58 Apache, aka “the toolbox incident ”

A short time later I installed a neutral safety switch…

Auto Transport Service
Back