• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

chasing pin holes

glhx

Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
have successfully filled in around 200 small pin holes on the roof rail of my 69 dart. I have only done the drivers side so far. The problem im having is in the grinding of the fill welds. They are so close together that when i grind them down they are paper thin and stacking on top of each other. This will invite rust and i will not be able to remove that rust. I could grind down the fill better but then i would be getting into the original metal. There are no patch panels for dart roof rails and the vinyl top killed it. The roof skin is off of the car and is completely rust free. These pin holes have not killed the structure too much. it still feels strong.

I have these pin holes just over the driver and passenger window at least 1.5 feet along the roof rail, and at the bottom of the sail panel seam on both sides. this is the donor cars roof, mine is way worse

Is there another way to deal with pin holes? I want this to last, that is why i wanted to fill it in with metaL. If it was on the floor board it wouldnt matter but this is on the roof rail and expensive primer and paint along with a vinyl top are going back on it. I dont want bubbles under the new paint. there has to be an effective way to fill in these holes

Use silicon bronze weld rod and a oxy/acty torch. The rod has a real low melting point or if not that way, try the lead free lead that Eastwood has, again low melting point of the lead and you ca get all the holes rather easily.

Would you better off ditching the pin hole chasing method and repairing/replacing the affected areas......for the sake of some cutting and folding, it's probably going to be alot less of a headache in the long run.
Keep in mind, the metal in between every pin hole is on it's way out too.

Cut it out and replace the area.Stop chasing the problem and eliminate it.I am dealing with a similar issue on a 71 wagon I am doing for customer.It had a windshield replaced incorrectly and caused all kinds of rust on a rust free texas car,we thaught was rust free.A large portion of the cowl @ the windshield will have to fab and replace.

Yup, good advice, what you don't realize is alot of the rust is coming in from the backside, who knows when another will surface once you think you're done. Replace is the safest solution!

Once the metal is compromised to that degree, cut it and use fresh metal. if you don't it will only come back to haunt you ...

Do a lot of metalwork here and I agree with the general feeling that you should replace instead of chasing pinholes. If you don't have a brake or a good way to bend what you need, you may try looking at other cars/trucks in salvage yards to find something close to what you need. I don't know how some of my customers would feel if they knew there was K-car metal in their Mustangs, 90's B-van metal in their 69 Camaro, etc..... but it is far better to improvise than it is to try to hide something that should have been replaced!

Depending on the complexity of the bends you can make a fairly decent brake at home, probably with stuff you have laying around. I have a brake in the shop I work in, but at home, so I made my own, have to say it works fairly decent . A38Valiant I hear you , I just finished up a "pro street" 70 'cuda that has a good amount of Mustang blood in it ..LOL

on most cars i can see using other metal. the darts roof rail is a complex bend that starts shallow curve in the front and ends larger in the back...then has 2 90 degree bends. i wonder what other car has this bend. I would love to have the skills and equipment to make this stuff from scratch. maybe a metal pipe would work

Picture 137.jpg

Believe me you can make it with things around the shop.You may have to make it up with multiple pieces.As a fabricator I find some things are just easier to make multiple pieces and weld them together.It alows you to fine tune each piece that much closer and if you oops a piece its only that piece not the hole part.Just my thaughts.

Moparpoor
Where in howell is your shop located it.I have a friend that lives in howell.I spend a lot of time there also.

Do you know a guy named ron has a black and sliver 69 gtx?

Not off hand,I spend a great deal of time talking to alot of people about old mo rags.I'm sure I have run into you.You may have seen me pissing off the farmers on the back roads with my raggedy 64 dodge.You can't miss that ugly bitch.

Auto Transport Service
Back