• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

classic air AC install pictures

euroz06

Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just purchased Classic Air/original air upgrade kit for my 68 charger (383/original AC car). I'm looking at instructions and parts that I have, and it leaves me with many questions. I was wondering if someone who had done this upgrade could share the pictures from under the hood. Mainly, by the compressor, by the firewall, by the dryer.

The kit that I have has a hose with a high side port (red), and no fitting on the other end (i have a separate condenser fitting). I assume this port goes from condenser to compressor (suction hose?)?
The second large hose (discharge hose?) has a fitting, but no port on one end, and the other end is open. I have a metal evaporator fitting (I assume for the low side, it doesn't have a cap on it). So does this other end goes to the side near the firewall and I add this fitting with a port?
My original system on the low side it has this big metal hose, plus a large hose with some big muffler of sorts. So this big hose (after muffler, on the metal fitting) has a port, where the expansion valve connects. In my kit, I don't understand where im supposed to connect the new expansion valve.
I also have what I think is a thermostat switch. So im confused on how my current system is set up, but i don't think i see it anything on my firewall. So this switch also has a metal line that im not sure where to connect it to. It also has two connectors on it, and im not sure what to connect there or where to connect it to.
I also have pressure safety switch, but there are no instructions on installing this, and I don't see one in my current set up. Do I need it?
IMG_9621.JPG
IMG_9616.jpg

CAA has installation photos on their website. Old Air Products is their subsidiary that makes the upgrades. Their staff was very helpful to me on my Coronet.

CAA has installation photos on their website. Old Air Products is their subsidiary that makes the upgrades. Their staff was very helpful to me on my Coronet.
The original air bought caa. Its the same kit that they are selling. The same instructions.

You should be able to lay it out and figure what goes where. You will not use the low pressure cut out switch. That kit is a semi builder series so you must cut and have the fitting crimped on. https://www.classicautoair.com/wp-content/uploads/MOPAR-Engine-Compartment-Upgrade-Kit-2.1.pdf
yes, thats the manual im referencing. on classic air there is this other manual with the cut out switch, and it was in my kit, but i couldn't see where it would go (if i removed the original "switch port"). Thank you for clarifying that it is not used in this kit. But again to the switch port, currently my expansion valve also connects to it. There is also a thermostat that came with the kit, and I don't believe i have one currently (i don't see one). See the instruction manual picture for what im talking about, im confused where things connect to.
So currently, from my compressor, i have a wire that goes towards the firewall. I'm attaching two pics from the egine bay. There is a black wire that goes out of heater compressor(?), and I have a green wire coming out. There is also black wire grounded to the firewall. I couldn't see very well behind the tubes, and it was late at night when i went to look at stuff. so i might be confusing some things here.
Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 9.42.41 AM.png
IMG_9625.jpg
IMG_9627.PNG

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 9.38.47 AM.png

yes, thats the manual im referencing. on classic air there is this other manual with the cut out switch, and it was in my kit, but i couldn't see where it would go (if i removed the original "switch port"). Thank you for clarifying that it is not used in this kit. But again to the switch port, currently my expansion valve also connects to it. There is also a thermostat that came with the kit, and I don't believe i have one currently (i don't see one). See the instruction manual picture for what im talking about, im confused where things connect to.
So currently, from my compressor, i have a wire that goes towards the firewall. I'm attaching two pics from the egine bay. There is a black wire that goes out of heater compressor(?), and I have a green wire coming out. There is also black wire grounded to the firewall. I couldn't see very well behind the tubes, and it was late at night when i went to look at stuff. so i might be confusing some things here. View attachment 1687938View attachment 1687942View attachment 1687943

View attachment 1687937
I edited my other post. You will use the low pressure switch. The original a/c compressor wire will input the switch and the other will now feed your new style compressor.

so im again confused :( in my original system, I have 3 ports, low side, high side, and another port on the low side near the firewall, where my current expansion valve connects to. According to the manual you quoted, it doesn't mention this 3rd port, its not on the graph, and none of the parts in the kit have that 3rd port. So where would the low pressure switch connect to?

so im again confused :( in my original system, I have 3 ports, low side, high side, and another port on the low side near the firewall, where my current expansion valve connects to. According to the manual you quoted, it doesn't mention this 3rd port, its not on the graph, and none of the parts in the kit have that 3rd port. So where would the low pressure switch connect to?
You need to read the directions completely and absorb every step. The system is not completely like your old one. You are adding the thermostatic switch and the low pressure cut out switch. There are terminals in the kit. Your factory wire for the compressor must come out of the firewall. It will attach to the thermostatic switch. It then will go to the Low pressure switch and from there to the new compressor. Again read the instructions.

quote[[[[[[[So where would the low pressure switch connect to?]]]]]]quote To the drier like the instructions say.

Auto Transport Service
Back